With win over Harvard, men’s lacrosse stays alive in Ivy playoff race

Luke Crimmins Lacrosse

Freshman Luke Crimmins did all he could to ensure the Tigers stayed alive in the Ivy League Tournament race 

On Saturday the men’s lacrosse team (7–5, 2–3 Ivy League) traveled up to Cambridge to take on Harvard (7–5, 2–3) in its last road Ivy League game of the season. The game started slowly with only three goals scored in the first quarter, but by halftime, behind a six-goal second quarter, the Tigers took a 7–3 lead, a script similar to its last two wins by building halftime leads that it is then able to hold for the rest of the game as Princeton would go on to win 15–10.

The Tigers were led by their usual cast of characters: sophomore attack Michael Sowers, senior midfield Austin Sims, and freshman midfield Chris Brown. Sowers had seven points on the day (one goals, six assists), Sims had four goals, and Brown had three goals. Sims and Brown also each added one assist. Sowers broke the single-season record for assists on Saturday, reaching 54. He is also second in points for a season with 79, behind none other than himself — his own record of 82 from last season. Brown joined Sowers and Ryan Boyle ’04 as the only Princeton freshman ever with at least 15 goals and 15 assists. Lastly, both Sims and sophomore attack Phillip Robertson both went over the 30-goal mark for the season as they tie at 31 for the team lead.

A new name to make an important contribution to the team was backup sophomore goalie Jon Levine. Levine had to come on to the game in a hostile, pro-Harvard stadium when starting senior goalie Tyler Blaisdell was called for a cross-check. Without any warmup, Levine had to come on the field with the Tigers only up 10–9 and hold strong in the net while Harvard had a two-man advantage. Levine held strong against a shot from 10 yards out and then in a one-on-one on the doorstep from Kyle Anderson, the Crimson’s leading scorer.

Coming into the game, the Tigers needed a win to stay alive in the race for the Ivy League tournament. Princeton needs to win its last game of the year and then hope Brown loses against Dartmouth. Dartmouth came close to helping Princeton this week when it played Penn, almost pulling off the upset, but the Big Green lost in double overtime 10–9. Dartmouth will be looking for its first Ivy League win this season.

This weekend, the Tigers will host Cornell on Sherrerd Field at Class of 1952 Stadium in their last game of the season. This game will be a good test to see what Princeton has learned since its mid-season slump, when it lost three league games in a row.  The game will be available to watch on ESPN3 or the Ivy League Network and can be listened to live on the TuneIn App.