Parish ’21, Park ’21 win USG run-off elections

Emma Parish '21 (left), and Phoebe Park '21
Courtesy of Isabel Griffith-Gorgati '21

One week following the release of spring election results, the Undergraduate Student Government announced in an email to the student body that Emma Parish ’21 and Phoebe Park ’21 have been elected as Class of 2021 president and social chair, respectively, in run-off elections for both positions.

USG policy required the election for both positions to go into run-offs, since no candidate in either position received a 50 percent majority of votes during the preliminary elections.

Of the 661 ballots cast in the presidential run-off elections, Parish received 370 votes. Her opponent, Tiger Gao ’21, garnered the remaining 291 votes.

With Parish and Park’s elections, the class of 2021 will be the first class since the class of 2005 to elect all-female officers. This noteworthy outcome comes one year before the 50th anniversary of co-education at the University.

Parish emphasized that she was “incredibly excited and honored to be representing the great Class of 2021 as class president next year.”

“I want to thank everyone who voted,” said Parish. “I am looking forward to raising dialogue about issues that were brought up during the campaign and creating a sense of unity for our grade.”

The social chair run-off elections received 630 total votes, with Park and Harsh Babla ’21 earning 331 and 299 votes, respectively.

Park expressed her gratitude to the class and to Babla for providing support since the beginning of campaigning.

“Thank you to everyone who supported me, all those who voted, and also to [Babla] for such a positive campaign experience,” said Park. “I'm so excited to work with all of you to bring us closer together.”

Only the class of 2021 could vote in the run-off elections.