Tigers tennis stands strong at Princeton Invitational

Steffensen4.jpg
Steffensen4.jpg

The women’s tennis team hosted the Princeton Invitational this past weekend, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, at Lenz Tennis Center. Princeton was one of the four teams that competed in this invitational, hosting Cornell, Penn, and Temple in both singles and doubles matches. Lead by head coach Laura Granville, who has coached the Tigers for six seasons, the women’s tennis team went into the Princeton Invitational with confidence in themselves and their abilities. The Tigers came out on top, winning 10 of their 11 matches in doubles and 15 out of 20 matches in singles throughout the weekend.

As the three days progressed, Tiger sophomores Clare McKee and Tiffany Chen lead the team as they each went undefeated (3-0) in singles. McKee came out on top against two Cornell athletes and one from Temple while Chen defeated athletes from Penn, Cornell, and Temple. Junior Nicole Kalhorn also went undefeated in her two singles matches this weekend which were both against Cornell athlete Molly Sandberg. Tiger players seniors Katrine Steffensen and Sara Goodwin, junior Catalina Vives, sophomore Gaby Pollner, and freshman Nathalie Rodilosso also competed in singles matches this weekend combining to 7-5 overall.

Doubles matches were only played on Friday and Sunday. Each doubles team competed very well, ending with only one loss throughout the two days of play. Rodilosso and Vives were one of two pairs to compete in two matches where they went undefeated against two different Cornell teams. Kalhorn and Steffensen were the other pair to compete in two doubles matches where they finished 1-1 together, defeating a pair from Temple and losing to a team from Penn. The Tigers had seven other doubles pairs that each played and won one match.

So far, the Tigers have had a very successful season. With three more invitationals coming up, they are hoping to keep improving their individual and team stats. Overall, the team is currently 30-22 in singles matches and 13-7 in doubles and is optimistic as it finishes out the season in the next few weeks.