Women's lightweight and open rowing confident as the spring debut approaches

Both the women’s lightweight and open rowing teams set their sights on regional and national championship titles as the beginning of their spring seasons rapidly approach.

The women’s lightweight rowing team experienced a disappointing end to their 2016 spring season. Coming up short in the IRA Championships, they finished in sixth in the varsity eight grand final, sixth in the varsity double grand final, and third in the four petite final.

Senior captain Christina Warren uses the losses experienced by the team last year as fuel to add to this year’s motivation tank. “Last season was honestly extremely difficult. It was a very disappointing year, but that being said, I was inspired by the team's attitude about it,” Warren stated. “We never got negative or discouraged and we always left everything we had on the water, no matter the result. I'm proud of last year's season because I think it shows how tough my team is. We are ready for a turn around, and we are confident that it's coming our way.”

Senior Alicia Lamb shares the same redemptive desire as Warren, discussing the team’s newfound speed and energy. “The collective team mentality heading into our first race is to win. We faced a lot of adversity last season and so are even more determined to prove how fast we are this year. There is great energy and drive on our team, not to mention speed, and we are excited to see what we can do during racing season.”

Senior Sarah Lossing also detailed the manner in which the lightweight crew has physically prepared for the upcoming spring season. “Right now, we're splitting our time between rowing on the water and erging inside the boathouse, which gives us some time to start rebuilding that ‘boat feel’ while still improving our physical fitness and strength on the ergs. I think everyone has made great progress inside this winter, so I'm excited to see that translate to some fast racing in the spring.”

Fellow senior captain Juliette Hackett identifies two simple goals for the season: work hard and win.

“The team's main goal this season is to establish us at the top of the women's lightweight rowing field,” Hackett commented before reiterating the theme of the collective pursuit for restoration.

“Coming off a difficult spring season last year, we want to reassert our program's strength and demonstrate the speed we have been working on all year. This year, we have more raw strength and elevated focus. We are seeing payoff of the work we put in each week, and we are excited to execute on the race course this spring in pursuit of the top medal.”

Lossing pinpointed the two major races in which the team aims to dominate as the Eastern Sprints and IRA Championships, the respective regional and national competitions of the spring season.

The Tigers hope to medal in these events with the help of three new freshmen: Emma Hopkins, Georgia Timm, and Laura Zecca. The trio will replace last year’s seniors Phoebe Huang '16, Gabriella Pezzini '16, and Helen Stilwell '16.

Alongside Warren and Hackett, the team will also be spearheaded by the coaching quartet of Paul Rassam, Eden Full, Becky Kreutter, and Kate McCormick.

The first race of the spring will be the Knecht Cup in Windsor, New Jersey on April 9.

The season for the women’s open rowing team will open two weeks earlier on March 25 against Brown and Michigan State at Lake Carnegie.

The team also has a busy seasonal plate, culminating in the Ivy League Championships in mid-May and the NCAA Championships later that month. 

The Tigers hope to repeat the success of their last season, entering the season as the reigning Ivy League champions and seventh place finishers in the 2016 NCAA Championships. The varsity four petite boat crossed the finish line at a notable second place finish in its final in the latter tournament.

The two successes were the exciting culmination to an eventful spring season. The team opened with a third place finish in the Class of 1987 Trophy race against Brown and Ohio State and took off for the rest of the season with wins against major competitors, including Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, USC, Dartmouth, Penn, Bucknell, and Duke.

The Tigers were led last year by former seniors Erin Reelik '16, Brett Simpson '16, Meghan Wheeler '16, Emily Wiehe '16, Mary Ann McNulty '16, and Annelies Paine '16.

Ten experienced freshman, however, including Amanda Cooleen, Jessica Dyroff, and Hadley Irwin, will make their collegiate debut in March.

Leading the team are head coach Lori Dauphiny, assistant coaches Steve Coppola and Kate Maxim, and senior captains Catherine Babiec and Georgie Howe.