News and Notes: University adds website resources in response to immigration order, hosts info session

The Davis International Center has created a new web page with updates and a Frequently Asked Questions section regarding President Trump’s executive order on immigration. Additionally, the Davis International Center will hold an open information session Feb. 9 for University students and scholars who have been affected by the executive order. 

Information session attendees will be able to hear updates and ask questions about the situation. The event will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Louis A. Simpson International Building in MPR Room B60 (lower level). The Center plans to schedule other upcoming information sessions at different dates and times.

On Jan. 27, 2017, President Trump signed an executive order entitled “Protecting the Nation from Terrorist Entry into the United States by Foreign Nationals.” A section of the order states that both nonimmigrants and immigrants from seven countries will be prohibited from entering the United States through April 27, 2017.

The Davis International Center’s new web page states that the information the page holds is “intended to assist students, scholars, and other members of the Princeton University community who may be impacted by the Executive Order on immigration...”

“We value the important contributions of all the members of our community, and we are concerned about the impact the Order may have on them and their studies, scholarly teaching, and research,” the home page states.

The web page also states that the Davis Center is closely monitoring the situation and is coordinating with other campus units to provide the best immigration advice and resources, including legal referrals. The University intends to provide accurate and timely information by keeping information on the web page constantly up to date.

The resource page is divided into three sections – Section I: Updates; Section II: FAQ’s on the Executive Order; and Section III: Advisory Resources and Campus Resources.

In Section I, the most recent update occurred yesterday regarding the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals oral argument.

“The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will hear oral argument on the government’s request for an emergency stay of the District Court’s temporary restraining order on Tuesday, February 7, 2017, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern time. The Court has indicated that a decision would be reached in the coming days,” the web page reads.

Section II currently contains 16 FAQ’s about the order. Some of these questions include the following:

“I am a citizen of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen, but I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR, or Green Card holder) of the United States. How does the 90-day suspension of entry impact me?” and “If I’m not a U.S. citizen, does the Executive Order impact my ability to travel within the United States? What documents do I need to travel within the U.S. or locally?”

Section III provides links to advisories that may provide additional useful information and also encourages students and scholars who have been impacted by the executive order to reach out to campus resources “which can be helpful to their well-being and success during this difficult and distressing time.”

Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of Religious Life, and the Carebridge Employee Assistance Program are several confidential campus resources that the website recommends as resources to members of the University community.