Women's Hockey stumbles to start season

The Princeton Women’s Ice Hockey Team (4-3-1, 2-3-1 ECAC) battled back-to-back against two major Ivy League rivals this weekend, Harvard (1-3-0, 1-3-0 ECAC) and Dartmouth (1-5-0, 1-4-0 ECAC). The team had a thrilling victory in overtime on Friday, Nov. 11, against Harvard in Cambridge, but did not achieve the success it wanted on Saturday, Nov. 12, against the Big Green.

On Friday, both the Crimson and the Tigers had a scoreless first period, with both teams playing strong defense. Harvard finally put themselves on the board first, with a goal in the second period from Sydney Daniels. Senior Forward Cassidy Tucker responded at 11:54 of the third period, scoring her third goal of the season off of assists from senior forward Morgan Sly and sophomore forward Karlie Lund. The tie remained until the end of the fourth quarter, and the game was sent into overtime. Finally, at 1:10 into the extra period, freshman defender Julia Edgar clutched the win for the Tigers with her first collegiate goal, assisted by sophomore defender Stephanie Sucharda.

Saturday’s game ended in overtime as well, but with not quite the same happy ending. Dartmouth began the game with strong momentum, scoring twice in the first eight minutes of play with goals from Emma Korbs and Rose Falzone. The Tigers responded in the second period with two from sophomore Karlie Lund, marking her second multi-goal game of the season. Her first came off a rebound from senior defender Kelsey Koelzer for a backdoor goal and her second off of a drive down the ice for a shot at the top of the net. Both teams were unable to score after Koelzer’s goals though and the game was once again sent into overtime. Junior goaltender Alysia DaSilva held strong against Big Green’s shot attempts, but eventually let one go past with 37 second left on the clock from Eleni Tebano. In regard to her team’s Saturday performance, Lund remarked, “Right now we need to focus on competing for a full 60 minutes and capitalizing on our opportunities. At Dartmouth we didn’t have a good start and were down two goals at the end of the first. We were able to tie it up in the second, but we still didn’t play well enough to get the win.”

Next weekend on Nov. 18 and 19, Princeton returns home to Hobey Baker Rink to face off against Colgate and Cornell. Colgate is a tough ECAC match up and Karlie commented, “In order to have success against Colgate, we are going to have to compete from the drop of the puck. They are having a great season so far and we can’t afford to take time off against them.” As far as Ivy League play goes, the team is not satisfied with their recent play but remains hopeful for a turnaround. “This is not the start we wanted in the Ivy League, but there are still a lot of games left to turn it around,” said Lund.