News & Notes: Tarpley '66 sued for defamation by Melania Trump

Author, journalist, and historian Webster Tarpley ’66 is currently engaged in libel suit with Melania Trump, wife of President-elect Donald Trump.

Tarpley is being sued for claims made on his blog TARPLEY.net, where he claimed the Melania Trump allegedly had a nervous breakdown after her speech at the Republican convention was considered controversial.

He further claimed that Melania Trump was not a model, but instead a “high end escort” in the article that led to the libel suit.

The Daily Mail, a British tabloid, also made similar allegations about Melania Trump.

On Sept. 1, Melania Trump sued Tarpley, along with the Daily Mail, for defamation. The lawyers for Melania Trump claimed that Tarpley “acted with reckless disregard for the truth.” They also claimed that he presented a series of untrue claims as fact.

Both the Daily Mail and Tarpley posted retractions after Melania Trump’s lawyers got involved.

In his retraction, Tarpley said that “the briefing in question was not diligent in fact-checking or maintaining a healthy distance between innuendo and fact.”

However, in a statement, Tarpley disputed the claim made by the lawyers. He claimed the lawsuit is “ a blatant attempt to intimidate not only me, but journalists of all stripes, into remaining silent with regard to public figures” in the statement.