News and Notes: Ted Cruz '92 says he will vote for Trump

On Friday, Texas Senator Ted Cruz ’92 wrote in a Facebook post that he will vote for Republican nominee Donald Trump. This comes after a non-endorsement of Trump during the 2016Republican National Convention in Cleveland.

During the convention, Cruz said not to boycott voting, but to “stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket whom you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution.”

In the Facebook post, he wrote that he decided to vote for Trump because he “promised to support the Republican nominee” and he “intend[s] to keep [his] word.” Additionally, he wrote that, although he has “significant disagreement” with Trump, he is still “#NeverHillary.”

His decision is founded on six policy differences that Cruz wrote informed his decision, including Supreme Court nominees, the Affordable Care Act, energy, immigration, national security, and internet freedom. Moreover, Cruz added that he thinks Democratic nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton will assuredly “deliver on her left-wing promises, with devastating results for our country.”

Alluding back to his convention speech, Cruz wrote that “My conscience tells me I must do whatever I can to stop that.” He added that the country “is in crisis” and Clinton “is manifestly unfit to be president.”

This promise to vote comes after a savage primary season that not only included insults to Cruz himself, but to his entire family – even the nickname “Lyin’ Ted.” Cruz responded by calling Trump a “pathological liar” and “utterly amoral,” the New York Times wrote. According to the Times, many Cruz allies expressed strong displeasure at the Facebook post. However, the Times reported, it seems that the Cruz and Trump camp are starting to see a “tentative peace.”