Sprint football continues to struggle against Army

After a disappointing 48-13 defeat against Chestnut Hill (1-0), the Tigers (0-2) had their home opener against the United States Military Academy (2-0) in an attempt to end their 102-game streak without a victory against a CSFL opponent. The Tigers have not had great success against Army in recent history, as the team was shut out in five of the last six meetings, losing 57-0 in their most recent meeting in 2013 and only gaining 60 offensive yards.

However, this meeting was not any better for the Tigers, as they were completely dominated in every part of the game. Despite their best efforts, the Tigers lost 86-0 against Army. Army scored 23 points in the first quarter before tacking on 23, 19 and 21 more points in the three quarters after that.

Army's offense was firing on all cylinders, as they picked up 499 yards of total offense and scored four passing touchdowns and six rushing touchdowns. Army had contributions from many different players, with Jaylen Collier rushing for 69 yards with one touchdown and Patrick Riley who had 48 yards and two touchdowns. Keegan West, Quay Gilmore and Ronald Fricke III each added a touchdown of their own as well as the whole team racked up a total of 288 rushing yards.

Army's passing game was also efficient, as they went 14-21 with 211 yards and four touchdown passes, led by Brady Miller who had three touchdown passes of his own and Keegan West who had one touchdown pass and 128 yards.

On the other hand, the Tigers' offense struggled for most of the game, gaining a paltry total of two offensive yards, losing 79 yards on the ground and gaining 81 yards in the air. Junior quarterback Chad Cowden did not have a great game, going 9-20 for 81 yards with an interception and he was also sacked seven times. Freshman quarterback Matt Martinez did not fare much better, failing to complete any of his three attempts, while also throwing a pick and getting sacked once. Senior wide receiver Patrick Yu led the Tigers with six receptions for 51 yards.

Despite this poor result, the Tigers will look to bounce back as the season progresses. Next Saturday, the team will have an inter-squad scrimmage at 1 p.m. before heading to Ithaca, N.Y. on Friday, Oct. 16 to face Cornell (2-0) at 7 p.m.