Former student sentenced to 5 years on various drug charges

A former member of the Class of 2016 was sentenced to five years in jail for multiple drug possession and distribution charges, according to NJ.com.

Julian Edgren, 21, will begin serving his sentence on Nov. 13. The delay is due to a medical issue, NJ.com reported.

Edgren, who is free on $25,000 bail, is currently not enrolled in the University as a student, according to University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua. Mbugua declined to comment on whether Edgren voluntarily withdrew from the University or was expelled.

Edgren and the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office did not respond to requests for comment.

Edgren was arrested in January after attempting to retrieve a package from the Frist Campus Center mailroom that contained seven grams of ecstasy. At the time of his arrest, he was carrying a duffle bag containing five grams of hashish, 55 grams of marijuana, 60 Adderall pills and approximately half an ounce of liquid LSD.

The arrest was the result of an operation that started in mid-December, when federal agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection intercepted a package addressed to Edgren and contacted the University’s Department of Public Safety and the Mercer County Narcotics Task Force.

On the day of Edgren’s arrest, the police had been surveilling the building waiting for someone to retrieve the package.

The Narcotics Task Force also found psilocybin, drug paraphernalia and marijuana cookies in Edgren’s dormitory room and an additional amount of psilocybin in one of the other packages Edgren attempted to retrieve that same day. The total street value of the drugs found in the packages and in his room was approximately $3,000.

Edgren was charged with 13 counts of possession and intent to distribute controlled substances and prescription drugs on Jan. 7. He pleaded guilty for all of the charges inJuly.

In a Jan. 7 interview with The Daily Princetonian, Mbugua said that Edgren was still enrolled as a student at that point but was banned from the campus.

Edgren is from Princeton, N.J., and graduated from Princeton High School.