U. Annual Giving campaign raises record $61M

The Princeton Annual Giving campaign set a new record this year with $61,490,178 raised from nearly 45,000 gifts, William Hardt '63, Assistant Vice President of Development for Annual Giving, said.

The undergraduate alumni participation rate was 60.3 percent.

The Annual Giving fundraising total was significantly higher than last year's previously record-breaking amount of$58,748,900, although the undergraduate alumni participation rate was down from 61.4 percent last year.

According to University President Christopher Eisgruber '83, continued positive results from Annual Giving and year-round gifts made to the University could make expanding the undergraduate student body a foreseeable possibility.He added that the 60.3 percent undergraduate alumni participation rate achieved in this year’s campaign surpasses that of Princeton’s peer institutions by a significant margin.

“Our participation rate shows the deep appreciation Princetonians feel for the experience they have here," Eisgruber said. "They are grateful for the difference Princeton made in their lives, and want to pay it forward to future generations. ... For all of us who participate in what the University does, seeing the alumni support is a morale booster and adds something special to our community.”

Classes celebrating major Reunions, particularly the Classes of 1990 and 1965, generated the highest dollar totals in the campaign, raising $7.4 million and $7 million from 79.7 and 70.4 percent participation rates, respectively. According to Hardt, between 50 and 100 committee members in these classes volunteered for Annual Giving, and there were around 3,000 volunteers involved in raising money for Annual Giving total.

“What the volunteers bring are their personal stories,” Hardt said. “Many of them write letters, make phone calls and pay personal visits.”

The three members in each of the Classes of 1935 and 1936 all made contributions. More than 90 percent of the Class of 2015 made non-binding, informal pledges to contribute in the next four years. In addition, according to Hardt, almost 80 percent of University alumni have made a gift in the last five years.

Eisgruber said that funds generated from the campaign sustain programs like need-based financial aid, the Bridge Year program, graduate stipends, University-affiliated internships, study-abroad initiatives and help to recruit new faculty members.

Unrestricted funds — gifts not specifically designated — become included in the annual operating budget.

“Since Annual Giving began 75 years ago, [the campaign has been] flexible to meet the most important needs of the time,” Hardt said.

Particularly, Hardt said, Annual Giving stands behind the guarantee of full, need-based aid. After the American financial crisis of 2007-08, the University saw an increase in student financial need, Hardt said, and unrestricted funds raised through Annual Giving became critical in meeting the demand.

Graduate alumni and parents of University students generated around $1.7 and $2.4 million in contributions, respectively.Alumni who received financial aid as a student at the University contributed comparable amounts to their peers who had not, Hardt said, although specific comparisons broken down between classes who attended before and after the no-loan policy was instituted were not available.

Louise Sams '79, chair of Annual Giving, did not respond to requests for comment.