Caddeau named Forbes College dean

Forbes College Director of Studies Patrick Caddeau will become the next dean of Forbes, Forbes College Master Michael Hecht announced in an email to Forbes students on Wednesday.

Caddeau said he was enthusiastic about becoming dean of Forbes.

“Ironically, because we are further from the center of campus, students feel more like Forbes is their home, and I would like to continue to build on that positive aspect of Forbes,” he said.

Caddeau, a member of the Princeton Sustainability Committee, added that he looked forward to continuing Forbes’ “signature programming” around the themes of the environment and sustainability.

Support for the Princeton Garden Project at Forbes, being the first home for U-Bikes, piloting trayless dining and using sustainable furnishings and equipment are part of the positive legacy of Forbes that he hopes to build on, he said.

“We’re hoping to have a feasibility study go through for bringing in a biodigester, so that we take the food waste that’s produced in Forbes’ dining hall, and then instead of paying to haul that away to another state, we can put it into a biodigester right here, put it through an aerobic decomposition process and turn it into compost,” Caddeau explained, adding that the University could use the resulting product as fertilizer.

The Forbes dining hall produces about 550 pounds of food waste every day, he said.

He also said that, going forward, he would like to continue to incorporate faculty from the Wilson School and the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment into planning Forbes’ programming, and to work with the Office of Career Services to promote an interest in environmentally minded internships and careers.

“We have faculty who teach freshman seminars related to food issues and organics, and things like that, and then they can connect with the greenhouse and the garden which are right next to the seminar room,” Caddeau said.

With regards to academic advising, the director of studies normally focuses on students in their first two years at the college, while the dean specializes in advising juniors and seniors, Caddeau said. However, the dean has additional responsibilities related to programming, he added.

“We really think it’s important that the residential college dean have prior experience of advising and an intimate knowledge of Princeton’s curricula,” Claire Fowler, senior associate dean of the college, said in an article published May 4 in The Daily Princetonian. Fowler was out of town on Wednesday and did not respond to a request for comment for this article.

“Making sure students find a way to thrive at Princeton, feel comfortable, feel that they can get where they want to go academically but not feel overwhelmed by the stresses of deadlines and academic pressures” will also be an important focus of Forbes programming, including trips and residential college adviser training, Caddeau said.

Multiple Forbesians interviewed said they thought Caddeau was a good choice to be the next dean.

Catherine Idylle ’16 said she had asked him questions relating to academics on a number of occasions and that he is “awesome.”

Zachary Atkins ’16 noted Caddeau has often helped him resolve scheduling issues. “He’s very helpful,” he said.

Sukriti Chadha ’15 also said Hodgson has been “very receptive” and “supportive.”

The University is currently accepting applications for the director of studies position that Caddeau is vacating, according to its website.