News & Notes: Harvard facing investigation for alleged misconduct in sexual assault cases

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights is launching an investigation into Harvard for alleged misconduct in handling sexual assault cases, the Huffington Post reported Monday.

Among the accusations were Harvard allegedly failing to move a sexual assault perpetrator from the dormitory in which the victim lived, and that Harvard’s sexual assault policy is outdated and discriminatory.

The Huffington Post had previously reported on March 31 that a group of Harvard students had asked the OCR for a review of Harvard’s legal compliance with Title IX and the Clery Act. The Clery Act mandates disclosure of all campus crimes of which Harvard is aware, and Title IX bans sexual discrimination among universities receiving federal funds.

The Harvard Crimson also published an account by an anonymous victim on March 31 detailing her alleged assault and criticizing university policy.

After the March 31 allegations, Harvard president Drew Faust announced Harvard would convene a task force to study possibilities for policy changes.

Correction: An earlier version of this article did not correctly state the date of publication of a Huffington Post article. The article was published on March 31. The 'Prince' regrets the error.