Women's Basketball: Tigers set new team scoring record

edwards

The women’s basketball team steamrolled two of its lesser Ivy opponents over the weekend, nearly doubling both Brown’s and Yale’s scores. The Tigers’ 99 points against the Bulldogs set a new record for the program, for which the previous high was 97. It was the second weekend in a row in which the Tigers (14-5 overall, 5-0 Ivy League) defeated two opponents by a combined 77 points.

Brown (7-13, 1-5) did not fade away as early as many of the Tigers’ opponents have. Though they never led, the Bears kept the game within reach for the first 10 minutes. Princeton kicked it into gear halfway through the first quarter, however, and after the first 15 minutes they held a double-digit lead for the rest of the game.

Princeton began to pull away when freshman guard Michelle Miller widened the lead from 15-14 to 20-14 with two consecutive baskets, assisted by senior guard Niveen Rasheed. A jumper from senior center Megan Bowen and three-pointers from sophomore guard Blake Dietrick and senior forward Kate Miller kept the streak going, and in just over five minutes the score had climbed to 28-16.

Rasheed, who had 10 points against Brown, went on a tear in New Haven, extending her streak of double-digit games to 17 with a career-high 29 points. She also hauled in 12 rebounds.

Junior forward Kristen Helmstetter set two new career-highs on Sunday with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

Princeton complemented its offensive explosion against Yale (7-13, 2-4) with a strong defensive showing, going on a 20-0 run to open the game.

“I think we played fast, and that really benefitted us,” Rasheed said. “We had a lot of energy to start off.”

After that, the Bulldogs scored their first two points, and the 18-point difference was as close as the game got for the rest of the night.

Statistically, the Tigers are looking very similar to last year’s Ivy League championship team, which went undefeated in the Ancient Eight. However, their smallest margin of victory in the league last year was 12. This year, that number is 30.

Rasheed credits this phenomenal number to the team’s depth.

“We’re a very different team from last year,” she said. “Our bench is deeper than it’s ever been.”

The Tigers’ bench had 37 points against the Bulldogs, 11 of which came from Dietrick.

Princeton has eight games left in its Ivy schedule and will host Dartmouth and Harvard next weekend.