Ask the Sexpert: Sept. 22, 2011

Dear Sexpert,

I know Chaz Bono is competing in “Dancing with the Stars” this season. I keep hearing the phrases “transgender” and “transsexual” in discussions about the show and Chaz’s appearance. What’s the difference?

— Transfixed

Dear Transfixed,

Chaz Bono is indeed competing on “Dancing with the Stars,” and his appearance on network television is a watershed event in mainstream transgender acceptance in the United States. Chaz’s original claim to fame was being the only child of ’60s and ’70s pop duo Sonny and Cher Bono, but since coming out as transgender and transitioning from female to male, Chaz has become one of the most visible and vocal LGBT advocates in the country.

Chaz’s experience of transitioning is notable, and like that of all transgender individuals, it is unique. As the scientific and cultural conception of gender evolves, the terminology associated with identity will continue to shift, so please consider all definitions provisional and general.

Transgender has several different meanings. Transgender is often used as an umbrella term to refer to anyone who transgresses gender lines. Much like “gay” is sometimes used as an umbrella term to refer to anyone who identifies as gay, lesbian, or bisexual, “trans” or transgender is often used in a broad way to be quite encompassing. Transgender also refers to someone who does not feel that their gender is adequately defined by their physical or biological sex. This could refer to someone like Chaz, who considers himself male despite being born in a female body. Alternatively, it can also mean someone who does not identify completely within either absolute in the gender binary or their gender encompasses both masculine and feminine aspects. A synonym for this third definition of transgender is “genderqueer.”

The term transsexual usually refers to people who have taken, or have the intention to undertake, specific medical steps, such as hormones and surgery, to transition from their assigned sex at birth to the sex that they feel is more appropriate. This is known as gender reassignment or gender confirmation surgery. The term transsexual is a dated identity, and it is not typically used by younger people to describe themselves.

Most importantly, the decision to transition from one sex to another is intensely personal and the process of transitioning itself is not defined by any specific medical intervention. There are many trans people who choose to not undergo hormone therapy or genital surgery and who have transitioned. Some transindividuals also undergo cosmetic procedures like hair removal and reduction of the adam’s apple or breasts because they feel it makes their transition more complete. Transitioning is ultimately about matching an individual’s outward physical expression of sex with their personal identity.

The Sexpert

The Sexpert is written by a team of peer sexual health educators and fact-checked by University health professionals. You can submit questions to sexpert@dailyprincetonian.com. Don’t be shy!