Everclear to perform at Lawnparties

Alternative rock band Everclear will headline the fall Lawnparties concert on Sept. 23 at Quadrangle Club, the USG announced last week.

Everclear, which began recording in a Portland, Ore., basement 15 years ago, enjoyed a string of hits throughout the 1990s, including the Grammy-nominated 1997 album "So Much for the Afterglow." Their most recent album — 2006's "Welcome to the Drama Club" — is the first to be released since the five-member group reunited in 2004.

Though it's been more than a decade since the group's biggest hits, USG social chair Christian Husby '08 said he listened to students' requests in choosing a performer. In all, he received more than 100 emails requesting Lawnparties performers. "I really want to get the masses behind it," he said. "Student opinion really matters."

Husby said that though the band has not yet provided a set list, he expects Everclear's performance to include its hits "Wonderful," "Father of Mine" and "Santa Monica," as well as covers of Van Morrison's "Brown-Eyed Girl" and Thin Lizzie's "The Boys Are Back in Town."

Everclear's performance will probably start at 3 p.m. Sunday, Husby said, adding that concert details are still being finalized. Chicago rock group The Fold will open the show.

Though many of Everclear's songs contain drug references, "We've been assured that they'll sing songs that are not offensive and not in any way hurtful to the people on campus," Husby said. "We wouldn't bring somebody to campus who would be offensive to students."

Husby said he expects attendance at this fall's Lawnparties to be comparable to figures from last spring and fall. "I feel that with the popularity of Everclear's songs and their name recognition, we should certainly have a turnout that's over a 1,000," he said.

Though the USG "[doesn't] have the budget or the staff for some other artists like Bruce Springsteen or the Red Hot Chili Peppers," Husby said that Everclear is in demand, noting that the band's busy schedule made it difficult to book.

The USG will sell band T-shirts at Lawnparties and donate the profits to a charity that is yet to be determined. A similar fundraising effort took place during Lawnparties in fall 2005, when proceeds from Jurassic 5 T-shirts went to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The concert, sponsored by the Alcohol Initiative, the USG and Quad is the first major campus-wide event of the year. Last fall's Lawnparties performer was pop-reggae singer Rihanna.