​​Abby Meyers ’22 selected first round, 11th overall in 2023 WNBA draft

abby meyers wnba draft
Abby Meyers ’22 was selected 11th overall in the 2023 WNBA Draft by the Dallas Wings.
Isabel Rodrigues / The Daily Princetonian

The Dallas Wings just couldn’t stand not having a Princeton Tiger on their roster.

On Monday night, the Texan WNBA franchise selected Abby Meyers ’22 — a former star Princeton guard who played this past season at Maryland — with the 11th overall selection in this year’s WNBA Draft. The selection comes after Bella Alarie ’20, a former Wings player selected with the fifth overall pick in the draft three years ago, retired earlier this year.

In her senior season at Princeton, Meyers was selected as the Ivy League Player of the Year, averaging 17.9 points while shooting 39.3 percent from three. She was the leader of a Tigers squad that went 14–0 in Ivy League play and beat six-seed Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. In the Tournament win over the Kentucky Wildcats, a team which featured future top overall pick Rhyne Howard, Meyers scored 29 points.

Her impressive play earned her a spot as a graduate transfer at Maryland this past season, one of the top women’s basketball programs in the country. There, she continued to shine, scoring 14.3 points per game while increasing her averages in steals and assists, and decreasing her turnover average. Meyers joins fellow Maryland guard Diamond Miller, who went second overall to the Minnesota Lynx, as the second Terrapin selected in the first round of this year’s draft.

“There are so many amazing teams [in the WNBA], and I just looked up to all of them when I was growing up,” Meyers told The Daily Princetonian when she declared for the draft in March. “This whole experience is surreal, [it’s] like a full circle moment.”

Wilson Conn is a head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ 

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.