That’s the advice most experts will give to those wishing to switch out old habits for better ones. Waking up earlier, eating healthier, and exercising regularly—these are all goals that tend to fizzle out by Thursday. By the time Saturday rolls around, one has already given up on the week and sees no point in continuing the effort. Starting on a Monday, which people generally perceive to be the week’s beginning, allows one to become lax towards the end of the week, under the belief that the new regimen can always be picked up the following Monday.

As the final week of classes for the fall semester begins, I can’t help but feel that I’ve fallen into this vicious cycle. The semester’s almost over, so why bother fixing my habit of completing assignments on the last night and skimping on readings? I’ll just reset myself in February, when spring semester begins. Why bother trying to change my lazy social habits? I’m sure I’ll be more willing to leave the comfort of my room next semester.

I already know these changes won’t occur if I put them off until the beginning of the next cycle. I may be successful for the first week, or even the first several weeks, but I will surely fall back to my old ways. I will say to myself, “I can always tackle these problems next fall.” So, I will attack this last week of classes as vigorously as I would the first week of a new semester, in the hopes that I can phase new habits permanently into my lifestyle. I will start on a Friday.