SPIA building and fountain vandalized

Robertson Hall with the SPIA fountain in the foreground. Spray paint reads "Pretty Town Bloody Gown."
Robertson Hall with spray paint that reads "Pretty Town Bloody Gown."
Christopher Bao / The Daily Princetonian

Early Saturday morning, the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) fountain was vandalized, with red dye unloaded in the fountain water and spray paint that reads "Pretty Town Bloody Gown" on Robertson Hall. The Daily Princetonian was first made aware of the incident around 5:20 a.m.

A spokesperson for Princeton Israeli Apartheid Divest (PIAD) told the ‘Prince’ that “as far as [they] know the action was undertaken by an autonomous collective pressuring the University to divest from Israel.” The spokesperson continued that PIAD was not the coordinator of the vandalism, but “[they] don't discourage or police actions undertaken in solidarity with Palestine.”

Yesterday, Princeton Israeli Apartheid Divest (PIAD) posted a series of graphics to Twitter, including one that stated, “DIVERSITY OF TACTICS WELCOME.” The subtitle of the poster further stated that “Any action, any disruption, any escalation” was encouraged. 

PIAD has been active at Reunions thus far, with various students meeting with the CPUC and organizing rallies.

Multiple individuals, most in police uniform, stand in front of graffiti in conversation.
PSAFE officers discuss the incident in front of Robertson Hall

Last December, two eating clubs and a brick wall near Prospect Street were vandalized with pro-Palestine and anti-Israel messages, with graffiti reading “Free Gaza” and “Fuck Israel.”

A student associated with the Daily Princetonian said that PSAFE questioned them about the incident at around 8 a.m. 

The University was not able to provide comment at time of publication.

This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Christopher Bao is an assistant News editor and the accessibility director for the ‘Prince.’ He is from Princeton, N.J. and typically covers town politics and life.