There are 151 final exams until the end of the semester. We broke it down.

Section of stone building on cloudy day. Ivy covers sections of the building.
Outside view of McCosh Hall.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

For some students, the semester will be over after Dean’s Date, with all their work submitted before 5:00 p.m. on May 7. For others, end-of-year work will have just begun, with take-home exams starting May 8 and final exams starting May 10. This semester, 36 departments are administering 151 final exams, five of which are remote.

The Math and Economics departments are administering 13 and 15 exams respectively, the most of any department. The Latin, Operations Research and Finance Engineering, and Physics departments are administering the very last exams of this finals season, with LAT 102: Beginner’s Latin Continued, ORF 309: Probability and Stochastic Systems, and PHY 108: Physics for the Life Sciences all administering their exams on Thursday, May 16th at 7:30 p.m. The ORF 309 exam is remote.

All dining halls will close on May 16 after dinner. Use of Dining Points will end on May 16 at 11:59 p.m.

On each day, final exams are administered at 9:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m., or 7:30 p.m. and can last up to three hours. This semester, a total of 151 exams will take place over the course of the finals period, with an average of 21.7 exams occurring each day. The total number of exams has increased by 6 percent since Spring 2023, when 143 exams were administered. 42 percent of finals will begin in the afternoon, an increase from 32 percent of finals in Spring 2023. Evening finals, which constitute 19 percent of this semester’s finals, are the least common both this semester and in Spring 2023.

In February of this year, the University announced a pilot program that allows students to take two exams in one day. Dean Jill Dolan estimated that fewer than 3 percent of students would be affected by this change this semester.

Ava Curry ’27 told The Daily Princetonian that she had “three finals within a period of 24 hours.” Curry was scheduled to take the PHY 104: General Physics II final on Friday, May 10 from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m., CHM 202: General Chemistry II on Saturday, May 11 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and MAT 202: Linear Algebra with Applications less than two hours later the same day from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.

While originally unsure if this situation made her qualified to reschedule exams, since students are technically allowed to take two exams in one day, Curry reached out to her dean and rescheduled her math exam. “This just takes some of the study burden off,” she said.

Sixty exams are for courses at the 300-level — the most of any level. For 400-level courses, 14 are holding final exams. Twenty-two buildings are hosting finals; the Friend Center is hosting the most with 18.

After students submit their writing seminar final essays, lab reports, and History essays, they can enjoy an evening of post-Dean’s Date fun sponsored by the Undergraduate Student Government, complete with food, free merch, and stargazing, before returning to the stacks in Firestone.

Shria Ajay is a contributing Data writer for the ‘Prince.’

Ruoming Shen is a contributing Data writer for the ‘Prince.’