USG hears proposal on extended passing periods, CJL response to antisemitism report

The front of a white building, with columns, a gray door, and a large window
Tsurkov was kidnapped just over a year ago while doing dissertation research in Iraq.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate convened on Sunday, April 14 to discuss the proposed extension of passing periods between classes from 10 to 15 minutes, presentations on the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) report on antisemitism, updates from the Menstrual Products Task Force, and budget updates.

The Senate unanimously passed a statement advocating for extended passing periods between classes. The proposed adjustment, from 10 to 15 minutes, aims to alleviate the logistical challenges posed by the University’s expanding campus and the increasing distance between buildings. In the past, students have reported finding themselves rushing between classes, risking lateness or leaving classes early to make it to other classes. 

The proposal was originally presented to the USG Academics Committee by representatives from the Office of the Dean of the College in September. 

USG President Avi Attar ’25 said of the USG statement, “We wanted to be able to come together and express our support for this because I think that the faculty really cares about our input, particularly because this is a proposal which will impact students.”

Center for Jewish Life (CJL) Student President Stephen Bartell ’25 delivered an update regarding the Anti-Defamation League report last week which graded a number of American universities with regards to antisemitism. The report graded 85 campuses, and Princeton University received a grade of F. The rating followed a Title VI investigation opened up by the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights on April 3.

Bartell expressed concerns about the validity of the report, citing limited student testimonies and the inclusion of events predating the current student cohort. He emphasized the importance of distinguishing between anti-Zionist demonstrations which are registered and managed by the university, and activities that may pose a threat to Jewish students’ safety. The ADL report included “anti-Zionist incidents” as part of its grading criteria.

Bartell also addressed Passover observance, urging USG to extend support to the CJL by facilitating access to dining halls for observant students during the week of Passover, which falls from April 22 to April 30 this year. He underscored the challenges faced by students adhering to dietary restrictions, particularly upperclassmen in eating clubs who do not typically have access to kosher food in their respective clubs.

Caitlin Durkin ’25, a representative for USG’s Menstrual Products Task Force, shared an update regarding a draft business proposal by the Director of Building Services which would allow for increased access to free menstrual products in residential buildings. Durkin specified that the measure would mandate that all buildings on campus — including future buildings — have menstrual products in at least one bathroom. 

Durkin stressed the importance of student input in determining the placement of these products to ensure they meet the needs of the student body. “We want to make sure that students are being represented in where those products are,” she said. “It’s easy to move [products to the] dining halls and call it a day. But, we don’t think that’s the most equitable way of doing it.”

Furthermore, the Senate unanimously approved two budget requests presented by Campus and Community Affairs Committee Chair Genevieve Shutt ’26. One request, for approximately $1,600, will go towards organizing a second trip to Six Flags following poor attendance at the previous outing due to inclement weather. This funding will cover the cost of transportation via bus and parking. 

Additionally, USG approved an expansion of $3,000 to the current $10,000 of funding for Tigers in Town.

USG meetings are open for all students to attend and are held on Sundays from 4 to 5 p.m., typically in Robertson Hall 016. This week’s meeting was held in Frist Campus Center 302, and the next meeting will be held in Robertson 100 on Sunday, April 21.

Alena Zhang is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’