University phones experiencing service disruptions, internal and emergency calls unaffected

A Cisco VoIP phone sits on a desk. Cubbies filled with stacks of papers stand in the background.
A Cisco VoIP phone in a University office.
Calvin Grover/ The Daily Princetonian.

In a TigerAlert sent to the Princeton community at 11:43 a.m. on Monday, April 22, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) wrote that University phones were experiencing a “service disruption.” The outage is ongoing at time of publication. 

According to the TigerAlert, “calls to and from University departments, such as University Health Services [UHS], Public Safety [DPS], and others may also be affected.”

On-call residential College Advisors (RCAs) from Whitman College also use the Cisco Webex call forwarding system when "on call" for residents seeking help from the advisors. These advisors are on call Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

The OIT is responsible for providing campus-wide IT infrastructure, including WiFi networks and maintaining the University’s web services.

The problem was first reported by OIT at 9:57 a.m. as an “unplanned outage” due to “telephone audio quality issues.”

The disruption affects University phones, including desk phones and Cisco Webex, a software-based phone service which “offers the ability to place and receive calls using a Princeton University phone number via a computer or smartphone.”

OIT wrote that they “do not have an estimated resolution time,” and informed students that updates would be available on the OIT Outage page.

An update on the OIT service portal at 1:15 p.m. explained that the problem was ongoing, but that internal calls and calls to 911 Emergency Services were unaffected. External calls to and from University phones and departments, such as those from a cell phone, may experience intermittent audio and call quality issues.

The TigerAlert explained that OIT is investigating the disruption.

In a statement to The Daily Princetonian, University Spokesperson Jennifer Morrill wrote, “the University is engaged with the telephone vendor to identify and resolve the issue.”

While OIT has not yet provided a resolution time, an update to the service portal at 4:35 p.m. read, “the issue with telephone audio quality has been identified and OIT is working to restore phone services.”

“If students are unable to reach a University department by phone, hang up and try again or try another communication channel,” Morrill wrote.

An update posted at 11:04 a.m. on Tuesday, April 23, read “At approximately 9:17 a.m., a change was made to address the audio quality issue. Since the implementation, audio quality across calls has improved and no new issues have been reported. OIT will continue to test and monitor audio calling throughout the day.”

Victoria Davies is an assistant News editor for the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.

Editor’s note: This piece has been updated to reflect the latest update related to the disruption, as of 11:04 a.m. on April 23.