Colonial launches early sign-in ahead of anticipated largest Street Week ever

colonial Candace Do DP.jpg
Colonial Club is one of 11 active eating clubs on Prospect Ave.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Ahead of Street Week, Colonial Club announced a new tactic on Tuesday to recruit sophomores: early sign-in, which allows students to begin having meals at the club from the beginning of the semester. This comes as sign-in clubs anticipate increased demand from the Class of 2026, the University’s largest graduating class ever.

The early sign-in period, which closes on Feb. 2, runs through the first few days of Street Week, the week-long eating club recruitment period. This includes Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, the designated days when only the five sign-in clubs may hold events. This is separate from Bicker, which runs from Feb. 4 to Feb. 6. All students hoping to join an eating club must rank at least two sign-in clubs during Street Week.

Beyond additional meals, Colonial has offered a discount for students who join in groups of six and opportunities for sophomore officer positions.

The move by Colonial comes as Cloister Inn, another sign-in club, continues to face an uncertain long-term future amid financial difficulties. While Cloister will stay open through the spring semester, the club’s leadership is seeking an influx of at least 50 sophomores, commonly referred to as a “takeover,” to revitalize the club.

Recent successful takeovers include that in 2019 of Charter Club, which is now one of the most popular sign-in clubs and is planning a clubhouse expansion

While Colonial has not publicly stated that it is seeking a takeover, early sign-in has been a tactic to bolster club membership in the past.

As part of a successful revival in 1995 and 1996, Cloister moved its sign-in period to before Bicker and the sign-in period for other nonselective clubs. This prompted backlash from other club presidents and the Interclub Council (ICC), who removed Cloister from the interclub meal exchange for nearly six months.

ICC President Mia Beams ’24 did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

Colonial has not said that the early sign-in period will replace the standard sign-in period, which this year runs from Feb. 6 to Feb. 8. Colonial Club President Alexis Wu ’25 did not address clarifying questions about whether the club would be open during the regular sign-in period. Therefore, sophomores may still have the opportunity to join the club after participating in recruitment events at other clubs.

Colonial's membership has fallen in recent years. In 2022, 71 seniors graduated as members of Colonial, a fall from 97 in 2019. In the 2000s, Colonial's graduating class averaged about 100 members. In 2023, Colonial gave out spots to 70 students, though it is unknown how many of these students chose to join the club.

This year, sophomore membership at Colonial is among the most generous on the Street. Colonial's "5+5" plan gives sophomores five lunches or dinners every week in addition to breakfast every weekday. At just $12.31 per lunch/dinner, Colonial offers the lowest per meal price of eating clubs, with Cloister and Cannon Dial Elm close behind at just under $20 per lunch/dinner. In addition to meals, at all of the clubs, sophomore dues include full social benefits, access to club amenities, and other club expenses.

Registration for Street Week opens on Sunday, Jan. 28 at noon. Students can sign up on the ICC website.

Miriam Waldvogel is an associate News editor for the ‘Prince.'

Correction: This piece has been updated to include breakfasts in the cost per meal calculations for all eating clubs.