Women’s soccer christens Roberts Stadium with 2–0 win over Dartmouth in Ivy home opener

WSOC vs. Dartmouth.jpeg

Following Tuesday’s dominant win 2–0 at Bucknell, the Tigers (7–4–0 overall, 1–1 Ivy League) came out on top 2–0 against the Big Green (5–4–1, 1–1 Ivy) following a hard-fought game in adverse conditions. The victory came during Princeton’s first game on Myslik Field at Roberts Stadium.

With the cold, rainy conditions, the game’s circumstances would pose a significant challenge for both teams. Still, the Tigers didn’t let the dreary weather take precedence over the game’s importance. 

“While the weather certainly played a factor in the game,” three-time Ivy League winner Coach Sean Driscoll told The Daily Princetonian, “the focus was more so on the incredible privilege it was to play in the new Roberts Stadium and truly embracing and enjoying that moment.”

Princeton took the significance of this moment to heart as they put pressure on Dartmouth early on in the game. The pressure paid off in the sixth minute as first-year forward Pietra Tordin glided past her defender and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner for her sixth goal of the year. Her tally finished off a beautiful counterattack from the Tigers and gave them a 1–0 lead, which Princeton would hold through halftime. 

Princeton continued to generate scoring chances throughout the second half, with first-year forward Drew Coomans’ powerful strike from outside the box and Tordin’s close header from a corner coming close to doubling the Tigers’ lead. 

Princeton kept up the tempo until the 87th minute when sophomore forward Heather MacNab added to their tally with a clean finish following fluid link-up play from the drop-ball to make it 2–0. The Tigers’ dominant performance was a massive testament to their proficiency on both sides of the field.

“We are a talented team that continues to create really good opportunities to score in the final third,” Driscoll said. “Having said that, our defensive stability plays such a massive role in our confidence and psyche.”

With three shutouts in the last four games, Princeton’s defensive prowess has contributed to its recent upturn in form. Two games into Ivy League play, they’ll hope to continue this form throughout the rest of the season.

“We need to continue to be stingy in our 18 and more clinical in the opponent’s 18,” declared Coach Driscoll. “If we do that, great things can happen.”

The Tigers will return to Roberts Stadium this Saturday, Oct. 8, for a difficult fixture against Brown (7–2–1, 2–0). 

Daniel Asika is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at  da5467@princeton.edu