Sports Recap: Women's basketball keeps perfect in-conference record, Wrestling continues Ivy dominance

Kaitlyn Chen drives to the basket against Yale on Jan. 28, 2022
Kaitlyn Chen drives to the basket against Yale on Jan. 28, 2022. The Tigers won 61-49.
Courtesy of Go Princeton Tigers.

Women’s Basketball vs. Yale

In another round of Ivy play on Friday evening, the Tigers (14–4, 6–0) claimed a 61–49 victory over the Yale Bulldogs (12–7, 5–2). Neither team dominated the court in the opening quarter as the Tigers entered the second quarter with only a two point lead. By halftime, the Bulldogs pulled ahead, leading Princeton by three points. At the end of the third quarter, the two teams were tied 36–all. Princeton rallied and dropped 25 points — almost double of what the Bulldogs scored. Senior guard Abby Meyers led the Tigers with 22 points. Junior guard Julia Cunningham followed with 19 points of her own and 11 rebounds — the second double-double of her career. Junior guard Grace Stone and sophomore guard Kaitlyn Chen each contributed eight points to help lead the team to victory.

The Tigers will host the Cornell Big Red next on Friday, Feb. 4, at Jadwin Gymnasium.

Men’s Basketball vs. Yale

On Saturday evening, the men’s basketball team (15–4, 5–1) fell 80–74 to Yale at Jadwin Gym. This was the Tigers’ first loss in the league. Senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn led the team with 23 points. Senior guard Ethan Wright and junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan each contributed 15 points to the scoreboard. The Tigers went 44.4 percent at the free-throw line, compared to the Bulldogs’ 78.3 percent.

Check out this article for a full recap of Saturday’s game.

Princeton will continue Ivy play against Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y. on Friday, Feb. 4.

Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Quinnipiac, Brown

On Wednesday evening, the men’s hockey (5–11–2, 4–6–1 ECAC) team fell 6–0  to No. 2 Quinnipiac (21–2–3, 10–1–1 ECAC). The Bobcats dominated the Tigers on the ice for the second time this season. Quinnipiac outshot Princeton 43–24 and managed to score twice in each period. Senior goaltender Jeremie Forget had an impressive 30 saves on the Tigers’ end.

Check out this article for more on Wednesday’s game.

Following a tough loss to the Bobcats, Princeton defeated the Brown Bears (4–14–0, 4–8–0 ECAC), 6–1. The opening period saw no goals from either team. However, just two minutes into the second period, sophomore forward Adam Robbins scored the first goal of the game; he would also go on to score Princeton’s sixth and last goal of the game. Junior forward Spencer Kersten also added to the scoreboard for the Tigers in the second period. Minutes after Kersten’s goal, Brown responded with a goal of their own. Still, the Tigers continued to control the ice in the final period, scoring four more times. First-year defender Noah de la Durantaye, senior forward Corey Andonovski, and senior defender Mark Paolini contributed one goal each to secure the victory for Princeton.

The Tigers will host Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Hobey Baker Rink next for conference play on Friday, Feb. 4.

Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Cornell, Colgate 

On Friday evening, Princeton (8–8–4, 6–5–2 ECAC) tied 2–2 with the Cornell Big Red (8–8–2, 6–5–2 ECAC). First-year defender Dominique Cormier scored the first and last goal of the game. Her first goal occurred unassisted in the opening period, giving the Tigers a one-goal advantage. Cornell responded with a goal of their own to tie the game. Neither team scored in the second period, but with about just six minutes left in the game, the Big Red took the lead with another goal. Four minutes later, Cormier tied the game once again with an assist from junior defender Mariah Keopple and senior forward Sharon Frankel.

Following Friday’s draw, the Tigers fell 3–1 to No. 9 Colgate (20–5–1, 10–3–1 ECAC) on Saturday evening. The Raiders scored early in the opening period. Less than four minutes later, sophomore forward Annie Kuehl tied the game with a goal of her own. Her success was short-lived as Colgate would continue to dominate the ice, scoring twice more throughout the game.

Princeton will travel to RPI for another conference match on Tuesday, Feb. 1.

Check out this article for a full recap of Saturday’s game against No. 9 Colgate.

Wrestling vs. Harvard, Brown

In a Friday doubleheader of Ivy League play in New England, Princeton defeated Harvard and Brown in 34–9 and 39–4 wins, respectively. Travis Stefanik opened the earlier Harvard meet in the 184-pound category, pinning his opponent 20 seconds into the second period to give Princeton a 6–0 lead in the morning. Luke Stout, at 197, brought the Tigers up to 11–0 after pinning Harvard’s Nick Marcenelle. From there, Princeton kept the wins rolling in, with victories from Matt Cover, Patrick Glory, Nick Kayal, and Danny Coles.

The Tigers traveled up to Brown that evening to deliver another thrashing. The Tigers began with a five-in-a-row spate of wins from Glory, Kayal, Coles, Marshall Keller, and Quincy Monday. Glory’s opening victory was especially dominant, racking up the points at 17–1 and sealing the deal in 3:32 to propel the Tigers to 5–0. Stefanik, Stout, and Cover closed the evening, with a takedown from Cover in the final seconds to secure the bonus point.

The pair of victories brings the Tigers to 4–2 in dual meet play, and 3–0 in the Ivy League. Wrestling will face Cornell at home this Saturday.

Men’s Squash vs. Cornell, Columbia 

Men’s squash took on Cornell on Friday and Columbia (Sunday) this past week, winning both matches to put the Tigers at 6–3 overall and 3–2 in the Ivy League.

The men dominated Cornell in an 8–1 victory in Ithaca, winning four sweeps along the way. The Tigers powered to victory, with Youssef Ibrahim overcoming a 0–2 game deficit to rally to a 3–2 victory. The Tigers won three other games 3–1, with Princeton falling in one match to Cornell’s Humza Khan.

The Tigers found another 8–1 victory two days later, this time at home against Columbia. Ibrahim continued his dominance with his eighth win in a row, triumphing in three. Five other Tigers won in three. The Tigers fell in one match to five to Columbia’s Callan Hall.

The Tigers will face Penn at home next Saturday.

Women’s Squash vs. Cornell, Columbia 

Women’s squash also triumphed against the New York Ivy League pairing this weekend, as the No. 3 Tigers won a crucial ranked matchup against  No. 8 Cornell in Ithaca, winning seven sweeps in a 7–2 victory. The team followed up the big win with a nail-biting 5–4 win over Columbia on Sunday. Once again, all of the team’s wins came in 3–0 sweeps.

The wins over the weekend bring the Tigers to 27–0 all time against Cornell and 12–0 against Columbia. Princeton and Cornell will both wrap up their Ivy League play next weekend at Jadwin against rival Penn. The Tigers currently sit at 8–2 (4–1 Ivy).

Men’s Swimming and Diving @ HYP

Men’s swimming and diving triumphed over Yale (189.50–163.50) and fell to Harvard (228–125) this past weekend at the annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton (HYP) meet, held this year at Yale.

Captain and junior Raunak Khosla powered to victory in the 400 individual medley at 3:48.52 and 200 breast at 1:56.09, setting Yale’s pool record in the 200 breaststroke. Dylan Porges also powered through a strong 1650, clocking in first place at 15:09.11. Other strong swims from Tyler Hong in the 100 backstroke (third at 48.10); from a 400 medley relay of Hong, Khosla, Nicholas Lim, and Max Walther (second at 3:11.85); and a strong 100 freestyle effort from Walther (second at 44.02) rounded out the evening. The divers had a solid performance, with senior Colten Young finishing third at 334.95 and first-year Taso Callanan second at 340.15, both in the one-meter. Callanan also placed third in the three-meter.

The men look forward to the Ivy League Championships (Ivies) at home on Feb. 23.

Women’s Swimming and Diving @ HYP

Women’s swimming and diving wholloped Harvard (202–98) and fell to Yale (182–118) at HYP this weekend, hosted by Yale.

Highlights included a one-two finish in the 100 butterfly, with Nikki Venema clocking in for first at 53.62 and Christina Bradley close behind her at 54.03. Venema also finished second in the 100 freestyle at 49.67. The women were also strong in the 200 individual medley, finishing one-three with Jess Yeager at 2:00.86 and Liza Whitmire at 2:02.37. Ellie Marquardt earned another gold in the 500 freestyle, touching in at 4:49.74.

The women look ahead to the Ivy League Championships at Harvard on Feb. 23.

Julia Nguyen is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the Prince who usually covers the weekend recaps. She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen.

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the Prince who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.

Nolan Musslewhite is a senior Sports writer at the Prince who typically covers swimming. He can be reached at nmusslewhite@princeton.edu.