University to allow all upperclassmen to remain in their residential colleges, regardless of dining affiliations

Perelmanconstruction.JPG
Construction of the new residential college with geo-exchange heating and cooling.
Samantha Lopez-Rico / The Daily Princetonian

All undergraduate students will have the option to live in their residential colleges for all four years, according to an email sent to all undergraduate students from Dean of the College Jill Dolan and Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun. 

The Council of College Heads (COCH), which includes the faculty heads of each of the six residential colleges, sent the memo to all students on Monday, Jan. 24. 

In order to “further [the] commitment to creating continuous living-learning communities for all undergraduates,” the memo states that all juniors and seniors will have the option to continue to live in their assigned residential colleges after sophomore year, a new precedent beginning in the fall of 2022. Additionally, every residential college will reserve rooms for junior and senior students who wish to stay.

Students who choose to remain in their residential college as upperclassmen are not required to purchase board plans, “but may do so if they wish.” This means that students who seek to join eating clubs as upperclassmen may remain in their residential colleges without purchasing a shared meal plan. 

“The only meal plans that will be available for purchase by upperclassmen will be the Unlimited or Block 105 plans,” Deputy Spokesperson for the University Michael Hotchkiss said in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

Prior to this announcement, only students living in Butler, Mathey or Whitman colleges had the option to remain in their colleges for all four years, and students in First, Forbes, or Rockefeller had to change their residential college affiliation to remain in the residential college system. 

According to the memo, “this shift disrupted students’ continuity of community and advising support.”

However, the memo also states that undergraduate students who choose to live outside of their college in unaffiliated upperclassmen housing will still remain affiliated with their residential college. 

“The long-term goal of the program is to ensure continuity of residential community and advising resources,” the memo adds. 

The newest residential colleges, New College East (NCE) and New College West (NCW), will be expected to be completely constructed and open for students to live in the fall of 2022. 

“For the spring 2022 room draw, First College rising sophomores will move into NCW,” the memo states. “A sophomore class for NCE will be drawn from rising sophomores from Rocky, Forbes, and Butler, who will be eligible for the NCE housing draw.”

Maya Jaaskelainen ’24, a resident of First College, says she is excited about the new facilities in NCW.

“Some of the buildings in First are getting old, so I’m excited to have newer facilities,” she said in an interview with the ‘Prince’. 

Additionally, rising juniors and seniors will be able to draw into the NCE, but will have priority for their current residential college affiliation. Rising juniors and seniors in First college will have priority in NCW, according to the memo.

Andrew Somerville is a Co-Head News Editor who has covered USG, University and COVID-related affairs. He can be reached at jas19@princeton.edu or on Twitter @andr3wsom