USG talks spring programming and sustainability survey results

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 9.10.31 PM.jpeg
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate discussed the results of its most recent surveys regarding social engagement and sustainability for the rest of the semester.

The results of the Spring Social Engagement Survey were released by USG last Wednesday and showed that a majority of the student body was not interested in a large virtual social event like last year’s virtual Lawnparties. USG President Christian Potter ’22 and Social Committee Chair William Gu ’23 gave a presentation of the results at this week’s meeting.

There will be no Lawnparties this year. Potter said that this comes from “a very straightforward reading of the [survey] results,” where 69 percent of undergraduate respondents said it was not important for them to experience such an event and 21 percent were neutral.

Other action items from the report include a focus on engaging in social activities with off-campus students. Gu expressed concern in carrying out this task.

“It’s difficult to welcome off-campus students but avoid virtual programming, and the Social Committee is actively thinking of ways to do that,” he said.

The last action item on the report is to distribute additional Princeton merchandise. Gu clarified the difference between this goal and the roles of the USG Class Governments.

“The Social Committee is trying to find items that encourage the Princeton community to engage with each other,” he said.

He listed frisbees and picnic blankets as possibilities for distribution.

“Since receiving this feedback, we have already started to implement a lot of these action items,” Potter said. He noted that USG is happy with the way that the Tigers in Town initiative, which is also an action item on the report, has been received.

USG Sustainability Chair Mayu Takeuchi ’23 presented on the results of the Spring Sustainability Survey, which was focused on “expand[ing] sustainability efforts in campus dining.”

The survey received over 300 responses, which the Sustainability Committee used to suggest recommendations to the Office of Sustainability, Campus Dining, and USG.

These recommendations prioritize reducing waste from single-use containers and utensils by providing students with reusable utensils and encouraging them to participate in certain opt-in events.

Takeuchi also presented the TASK food collection event, during which students can drop off non-perishable food items and unopened utensil sets to be collected by the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK). This event will take place from April 7–9, with collection bins located at Frist Campus Center.

A Projects Board funding request from BodyHype Dance Company was approved unanimously. The $2,400 in funds will be used to hire video and photography staff to produce a virtual show.

Kauribel Javier ’19, the Whig-Clio Program Coordinator at the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students, presented a request on behalf of Vote100 for USG to sponsor five fellowships for their summer fellowship program. Each fellowship costs $5,000 and USG voted to fund half of the overall program, approving a total of $12,500 in funding.

Senate meetings — open to all members of the undergraduate student body — occur via Zoom at 8:30 p.m. each Sunday. The link to join the meeting can be found in the weekly USG newsletter, which is sent to all undergraduate students.