USG approves five new clubs, discusses mental health initiative

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.03.40 PM.jpeg
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate approved the recognition of five new clubs through the Student Groups Recognition Committee (SGRC) at this week’s meeting.

SGRC Chair Lehman Montgomery ’22 submitted the following clubs to be voted on by the Senate: Chinese Language Group, Minority Pre-Law Association, Princeton Corporate Sustainability Initiative, Princeton Society for Engineers, and Redefine Her Street. Descriptions for each of these groups can be found here.

Montgomery abstained from voting since he submitted the request, but the clubs were otherwise unanimously approved.

During his weekly President’s report, Christian Potter ’22 mentioned that this week will be recognized as Mental Health Week. The Mental Health Initiative, which is chaired by Allen Liu ’22, has various programs planned for the week, such as phone wallet and sticker giveaways, a book club discussion, and a body positivity discussion.

Potter also announced plans for the Senate to work on ways to incorporate student input into the appointment of two empty administrative positions: Assistant Vice President for Public Safety (AVP) and Director of Transportation and Parking.

“The USG executive committee is meeting with members of the search committee for student input on important qualities of a candidate and aspects of the role [of AVP],” Potter wrote to The Daily Princetonian.

He also stated that the transportation director search is being supported by the Undergraduate Student Life Committee.

Senate meetings — open to all members of the undergraduate student body — occur via Zoom at 8:30 p.m. ET each Sunday. The link to join the meeting can be found in the weekly USG newsletter, which is sent to all undergraduate students.