The virus may have crushed our traditions. It has not crushed our spirit.

How The Daily Princetonian will look this semester

Maintain Social Distance sign
A circle on the ground encouraging social distancing
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

Dear readers,

Campus is uncanny. Although the bronze of Nassau Hall’s bell tower and the halting grandeur of the Chapel are a welcome sight, our return to the University is strange, to say the least.

Yet despite our physical separation and our loss of Princeton tradition, campus is very much alive. Whether we are competing to see who can fill up their test tube in the fewest spits or rediscovering the beauty of a long solitary walk, there is something that we have not lost: our spirit.

The Daily Princetonian reflects this persistence, too. Though we have largely shifted online, we have persevered over this past year — and in many ways, we have expanded our coverage and our community presence with renewed vigor.

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, the ‘Prince’ will remain digital for the time being. The broadsheet that many of us looked forward to seeing each morning will be missed. But as we well know, the lack of physical presence means nothing for the spirit of our work.

Beginning Jan. 31, we will resume publishing daily through our website, our newsletter, and our social media platforms. Over this past year, our team has worked hard to expand our digital presence, and — in the absence of papers stacked around campus — we hope you will stay up-to-date by subscribing to our newsletters and by viewing our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok feeds. As we continue to cover the world around us with intentionality and empathy, I hope that you will join us.  

As the ‘Prince’ continues online, we remain excited to engage with the Princeton community in this virtual setting. I urge you all to adopt a similar perspective. Just because we cannot return to our old campus habits of Street parties or group hangouts long into the night, we must not see ourselves as restricted. Staying physically distant is not about limitations of freedom; it is about security of those freedoms.

Masks, distancing, and other practices that keep our community safe are not arbitrary but necessary. It is our responsibility as leaders and students to set an example for the rest of the country and to secure the possibility of future freedoms. As the ‘Prince’ Editorial Board wrote on Sunday, we owe it to each other to do our part in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.  

As students, faculty, staff, families, and alumni, let’s do our best to make this campus safe for all.

Emma Treadway is editor-in-chief of The Daily Princetonian. She can be reached at eic@dailyprincetonian.com.