Program in Ethnographic Studies no longer accepting certificate students

Photo of the corner of Aaron Burr Hall in the winter during the day.

Aaron Burr Hall, home of the Anthropology department.

Jonathan Schilling / Wikimedia Commons

The Department of Anthropology recently announced that it will no longer be accepting students for enrollment in the Program in Ethnographic Studies certificate.

Ethnography is a hands-on qualitative research method involving the recording and analysis of a culture or society and is considered “the primary method of social and cultural anthropology.”

According to the department website, the certificate program was established to offer “undergraduate students in all divisions the opportunity to learn how to use ethnography as a supplement or complement to their department concentration or certificate studies.”

Carolyn Rouse, Chair and Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Anthropology, wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian that the department’s decision to end the Ethnographic Studies certificate program was one that was made “reluctantly.”

Rouse cited a “significant increase in the number of anthropology majors” as the primary reason for the cessation of the program, stating that “our faculty has to prioritize advising our majors.”

The department has assured students in the Class of 2021 that they will be supported as they complete the certificate. Rouse added that the department will continue “significant one-on-one advising” for students enrolled in the program, noting that this form of personalized advising is necessary as students “tailor their certificate requirements to meet their independent research goals.”

The Department of Anthropology continues to affirm that ethnographic methods are “extremely useful for scholars in the sciences, social sciences, humanities, business, and public policy” and aims to support students who wish to pursue their interest in the field even without the certificate program, according to Rouse.

The department is continuing to encourage students with an interest in ethnographic methods to concentrate in anthropology. For non-concentrators, the department recommends taking “methods courses (ANT 301 and/or 300) and one or two anthropology topics courses related to their areas of interest.”