USG talks Tigerbook confidentiality, Honor Committee diversity

The Undergraduate Student Government discussed Tigerbook confidentiality concerns and new position appointments, among other issues, in its weekly meeting on Oct. 15.

USG president Myesha Jemison ’18 informed the student body on Oct. 15 that the students in charge of Tigerbook have access to what is being searched and who is making each of the searches.

TigerApps chair Rushy Panchal ’19 addressed these worries over the storage of user-identifying information with respect to Tigerbook and other TigerApps.

According to Panchal, a few TigerApps such as ReCal, Wintersession, and Rooms Guide use Google Analytics, an anonymous and fairly common tool on most websites. Although Residential College Facebook does store user profile views, searches are not stored, and movement to different hosts over the years has contributed to the loss of the majority of stored data.

“We want to work on a privacy policy that the people who work on these apps will agree to,” said Panchal.

Panchal also believes that making it transparent as to how opt out of public student directories would serve as a satisfying step forward.

In the first of the new position appointment presentations, Honor Committee Chair Carolyn Liziewski ’18 presented the three nominees for the Honor Committee, all of whom are first-year students.

U-Councilor Ben Press ’20 asked how the Honor Committee would proceed to better represent STEM majors and promote a balance of A.B. and B.S.E. students on the committee.

Liziewski agreed with Press, stating that the Honor Committee would reach out to STEM professors who teach freshmen, student groups focused on the natural sciences and engineering, and STEM open houses in the future.

“I think the conception on campus is that you need to be a pre-law student to be interested in service on the Honor Committee,” said Liziewski. “That certainly is not true.”

Both Academics Committee chair Patrick Flanigan ’18 and Honor Committee member and Class of 2019 president Chris Umanzor ’19 added that the Honor Committee should make an attempt to inform potential applicants that no experience is necessary.

Liziewski also later noted that the introduction of group case studies to the application process for first-years tested how applicants responded analytically and emphatically and how they interacted with one another.

In addition to the Honor Committee nominees, the Student Groups Recognition Committee presented two nominees, the Diversity and Equity Committee presented two nominees, and the Eating Club Referendum Response Team nominated Rachel Yee ’19 for the position of chair of the Subcommittee on Eating Club Relations. The Senate voted to approve all nominees.

Questions emerged during the review of the Sept. 25, 2017, meeting notes of the Council of the Princeton University Community. U-Councilor Diego Negrón-Reichard ’18 inquired into the lack of outreach by the University to students who have been recently affected by natural disasters in Puerto Rico and Mexico.

“I had to beg President Eisgruber for one tweet three weeks after the event to support relief efforts,” said Negrón-Reichard.

USG treasurer Alison Shim ’19 introduced the fall 2017 budget proposal and talked about the three major budgetary financial sources: income from student fees (94.9 percent), the University endowment (6.9 percent), and the Wilson School (1.8 percent).

Negrón-Reichard examined the possibility of converting the Student Fee Committee into a Financial Reform Committee in order to look into how University departments might fund events outside the limits of the USG budget.

The Senate voted to approve the fall 2017 budget proposal unanimously.