Former Forbes DSL Thompson becomes new associate dean

The now-former Director of Student Life at Forbes, Mellisa Thompson, has been named the new associate dean in the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students.

Thompson has worked as the DSL for Forbes College for the past five years. She started in her new office as of Monday, but she will continue many of her responsibilities at Forbes College until a new DSL for Forbes is appointed. As the new associate dean, Thompson will now be coordinating the management of student crises and emergencies, as well as overseeing the residential college advisor program and working closely with the DSLs of all six residential colleges.

“She’s been very involved with a lot of campus life issues, most recently the dining committee, discussing dining options and plans on campus. She’s become very active as she’s settled in over the years,” said Forbes College secretary Maureen Riggi, who has known Thompson for as long as she’s worked at the University. “She’s naturally caring and intuitive, and she’s going to bring a lot of that to the position.”

“[Thompson] has always been extremely nice and accommodating,” added Ian Lawrie ’20, a resident of Forbes. “She’s been a great resource”.

Originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., Dean Thompson acquired a B.A. in sociology from Cornell University and an M.Ed from Rutgers. She later served as a director of scholar support for the Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America program. Afterwards, she worked at MIT’s Office of Residential Life, where she counseled students, organized orientation events, and worked with the resident advisor program.

“I work to foster a community where students feel supported so that they can thrive in their academic and co-curricular life,” Thompson wrote in an email statement Tuesday, adding, “I am thrilled and humbled to start this new professional chapter and look forward to continuing to support all undergraduate students throughout their Princeton journey!”

“I think she’s going to be amazing; she’s been through the ringer and the gambit as far as being a DSL, and she’s going to apply those skills really well to the office of the associate dean,” Riggi added. “We’re sad we’re losing a friend to the other half of campus, but it’s going to be an amazing opportunity, and it’s going to be nice to be able to now share her with the wider campus. I think that the other students are in for quite a treat.”