Survey indicates 80.5 percent of U. respondents prefers Hillary Clinton

With its near-hysterical, intimidating, and shocking moments, the presidential election of 2016 has become a focal point of global attention for the past few months. This election also marks the first time that many undergraduate students on the University’s campus gained the privilege to vote and participate actively in candidate’s campaigns. To survey how University students have engaged with the election, participated in campaigns, critically evaluated candidates, and ultimately cast their votes, the Daily Princetonian conducted an online poll open to all undergraduates from Thursday, Nov. 3 to Monday, Nov. 7. The survey garnered 701 responses, representing 13.3 percent of the entire undergraduate student body.

Out of the respondent pool, 80.5 percent of students have voted or will be voting for Democratic party nominee Hillary Clinton, while 9.4 percent indicated that they will be voting for Donald Trump, and 6.6 percent indicated that they will be voting for a third-party candidate. Regarding political party affiliation, 61.8 percent of the respondents identified with the Democratic party, and 16.5 percent identified with the Republican party. Of survey respondents, 77.3 percent indicated that this election marks the first time they are voting, and 24.3 percent of respondents stated that they have actively campaigned for or expressed support for a presidential nominee through canvassing, fundraising, or joining a mailing list. Furthermore, 67.6 percent of University students who responded to the survey indicated that they are voting in their home state and will be casting an absentee ballot or voting early. Finally, over half (58.2 percent) of respondents indicated that they had already cast their ballots.

The ‘Prince’ also conducted more in-depth analysis of polling data by analyzing correlations between student’s socioeconomic status and their candidate preference. Additionally, we analyzed respondents’ motives behind their candidate preferences. Finally, we examined candidate preferences among students hailing from swing states.

graphic

Polling data analyzed by staff writers Hunter Campbell, Alexander Stangl, and Norman Xiong