Soaring women's soccer to kick off Ivy League play against Yale

In accordance with tradition, the women’s soccer team will begin its Ivy League season on Saturday against Yale at 4 p.m. in their ninth consecutive opening match.

In last year’s opener against Yale, the Tigers trumped the Bulldogs 3-0, earning an all-time record of 24-12-2.

As the reigning Ivy League champion, the team is heading into the match with a 7-1 current record, the best start in program history since 2004.

The Tigers also hold three out of four Ivy League Player of the Week honors, senior forward Tyler Lussi earning two and sophomore forward Mimi Asom earning one.

This isn’t the first time Lussi and Asom have made an impact in the Ivy League conference. Lussi is the reigning Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year, while Asom was rewarded Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors last fall season.

The current goals and points record holder in Princeton women’s soccer history, Lussi is now fourth and fifth in goals scored and points earned, respectively, in women’s Ivy League soccer history.

Freshman goalie Natalie Grossihas also burst onto the scene with an Ivy League Rookie of the Week recognition in week two.

Lussi passionately articulates her team’s mentality heading not only into Saturday’s match but also the entire Ivy League season. “The Ivy League games are our entire season. Nothing else that we have done this year matters,” stated Lussi. “We are walking into Reese Stadium Saturday having played eight non-Ivy League teams in what we consider training matches. Although those matches have been beneficial to gauge our progress according to our coaches, we are going to Yale for one purpose. Win.”

Lussi went on to describe the importance of the student body’s participation in Ivy League play. “Every Ivy League contest feels like we are reenacting the battling gladiators in the Roman Coliseum,” Lussi reflected, “Much like the ancient crowds would decide the fate of the gladiators, the Ivy League’s Ancient Eight spectators can change the outcome of a game by their robust participation. The confidence and overwhelming support of the crowd often empowers and inspires players to new heights of performance. Our Ivy home matches this season are Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard and UPenn. In the past, legions of Princetonian fans have shown up to these games and their support and collective will has lifted us to win!”

Head coach Sean Driscoll, who became the second coach in program history to reach 20 wins in fewer than 41 games this past weekend, also emphasized the influence that a supportive crowd has on his team. “I don’t think the students understand how much their participation means. It gives us so much energy and it really lifts the team. It helps us get out of those tough times and gets us back on track. It really just rejuvenates and energizes the team from start to finish, just having bodies out there cheering. I know our team is just really thankful when people show up.”

After Saturday’s game versus Yale, the Tigers are scheduled to play their first Ivy League home match against Dartmouth the following Saturday at Roberts Stadium at 1 p.m.