Fire Safety Changes Fine Schedule, Hoverboard Policy

The University’s Fire Safety Committee approved a series of revisions to the dormitory fire safety schedule, effective Sept. 1. The changes include an increased fee for fire safety violations and a required electrical system certification for hoverboards.

The decision was madein conjunction with Housing and Real Estate Services, the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students, the Graduate School, the University Fire Marshal, and the Student Housing Advisory Group.

University Media Relations Special Min Pullan noted that the increase in fines was a result of a restructuring of the fire safety fine schedule.

She added that the primary factors for the revision were to simplify the system so that students were more aware of the consequences, discourage further violations, and align the University with other institutions that operate in the same regulatory environment.

"I think it's unfair for students, because the rules for fire safety are not communicated sufficiently enough, so we're not aware of the violations we're committing," said Raj Patel '17.

Life safety device violations, including the intentional activation of fire alarms and tampering of smoke detectors, are now charged a $200 violation for first and subsequent violations.Possession of appliances that are in violation of fire safety are now confiscated and fined $100 instead of the $50 violation in previous years. Taping or propping the door is now a $200 fine after the first citation.

"It's a bit ridiculous how much the fine is," said Chi Suck Kang '17. "$200 is a lot for some people, and especially since these violations come after a small mistake, I think it's a big price to pay."

With the increased presence of hoverboards on campus, the University also announced new fire safety policies for hoverboards or any “self-balancing, hands free scooter.”

The University now requires all hoverboards ridden on campus to be accredited by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Hoverboards must now bear the seal confirming that the scooter has been independently tested for fire safety.

The announcement follows more than 99 incidents of batteries in hoverboards “sparking, smoking, catching fire and/or exploding including reports of burn injuries and property damage,” according to the CPSC.

All violation fees will continue to be forwarded to the University's general funds.