Olympics Day 1 Roundup: Matheson and field hockey trio claim early victories

Eight Princeton Olympians competed in soccer, hockey, fencing and rowing on the first day of the Games.

Soccer player Diana Matheson ’08, who is competing for Canada in her third Olympic Games, contributed to her team’s 3-1 win over Zimbabwe. Early in the game, the outside midfielder contributed to Canada’s second goal scored by Canadian captain Christine Sinclair. This is Canada’s second win, after its 2-0 finish over Australia on Wednesday. It is now at the top of the table in Group F with 6 points, and will play against Germany at 3:00 p.m. EST on Aug. 9.

American fencer Katherine Holmes ’17 received a bye in the women’s individual fencing ÉpéeRound of 64. She was then eliminated from the individual épée tournament when she fell 5-4 to Estonia’s Erika Kirpu in the lowest scoring bout of the entire tournament. Kirpu clinched the deciding point 36 seconds into a bout-deciding overtime after she and Holmes were tied 4-4. Holmes will now compete in the Women’s Team Épéetournament, beginning with a quarterfinal against Romania at 7:00 p.m. EST on Aug. 11.

Midfielder Katie Reinprecht ’13 scored the first goal in the third quarter of the USA vs. Argentina field hockey match. The match resulted in a 2-1 win for USA, which also includes Princetonians Julia Reinprecht ’14 and Kathleen Sharkey ’13 in addition to Nate Franks ’07 on the coaching staff. The victory resulted in 3 points for the USA, which put it in the top spot for Pool B alongside Great Britain. The next match for Team USA is against Australia on Aug. 8.

American rower Gevvie Stone ’07 won her heat in the women’s single sculls event with a time of 8:29.67. She will now be rowing in Quarter final 2 of the event at 8:20 a.m. on Aug 9. The USA Men’s Lightweight Four boat, which included Robin Prendes ’11 and Tyler Nase ’13, finished its 2000 meters in second place with a time of 6:05.61, just seconds behind New Zealand’s 6:03.34. They will now row in the semifinals at 10:00 a.m. on Aug, 9.