U. will not discipline students for controversial political opinions, Eisgruber notes

With regard to his recent comment that the University will not penalize students for possibly holding an event commemorating Osama bin Laden, University President Christopher Eisgruber '83explained that the University is committed to the principles of free speech and will not discipline any members of the University for their political opinions.

“We allow students, faculty and others the freedom to express their political opinions vigorously, even if those opinions are controversial or offensive to some,” he said

In an interview withThe Indian Express last week, Eisgruber noted that in accordance with principles of free speech, the University will not discipline students even for potentially holding an event to commemorate Osama bin Laden.

Bin Laden claimed responsibility for carrying out the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001 that took the lives of 2,977 people in New York City, Washington, D.C. and outside of Shanksville, Pa.

“It would be very disruptive. People would be very angry about the statement. But we would not discipline somebody for making statements of that nature,”he said to The Indian Express.

In an interview with the 'Prince', Eisgruber noted the conversation began when he met with several reporters to talk about his trip and the University’s activity in India last week. During the forty-minute interview, theIndian Expressreporter referenced recent assertions by an Indian minister that no American university would allow students to conduct a meeting to commemorate Osama bin Laden.

The reporter subsequently asked whether the University would allow such a meeting and whether it would discipline a student for exercising the right to free speech, according to Eisgruber.

Eisgruber said that heanswered the reporter’s questions on the basis of the University's vigorous commitment to free speech and academic freedom.

“Free speech and academic freedom are essential to a great university and a scholarly community.Their benefits far outweigh any costs,” he added.

Eisgruber further explained that the commitment to free speech he described during his interview with theIndian Expresswas articled in astatementthat the faculty adopted last year, which he fully supports.

The statement allows students, faculty and others the freedom to express their political opinions vigorously, even if those opinions are controversial or offensive to some,according to Eisgruber.

“We believe that the appropriate remedy for bad speech is better speech, not discipline: poor arguments or false statements should be met with better arguments. That's the only way to get at the truth,” he said.

The question arose as a response to recent events that transpired in Jawaharlal Nehru University. On Feb. 9, 21 JNU students allegedly organized an event to commemorate the third anniversary of the hanging of Afzal Guru, a man convicted for orchestrating a 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament.

Following the event, multiple students are currently facing disciplinary actions. Among them, three JNU students, were arrested on charges of sedition in connection with the event. Since the three were arrested, many students and activists within and outside of India have expressed support for the demonstrators. A small demonstration took place in mid-February at the University during which multiple graduate studentsdenouncedthe arrest of the JNU protestors.

As a response to foreign criticism, and in particular to a remark by U.S. Ambassador to India Richard Verma that advocated free speech in February, many Indian officials have made analogies to a hypothetical commemoration of Osama bin Laden.

Recently, the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression gave the University the lowest rating in its scoring scheme for free speech protection. In its report, FIREunderscoredthree facets of the University’s speech-related policies that are detrimental to the freedom of expression.

All three excerpts enumerated disciplinary measures for speech code violations.

In response, Eisgruber explained that the section of Rights, Rules and Responsibilities cited by FIRE deals with speech targeting individuals, such as threats or harassment. He further noted that the faculty statement on free expression distinguishes between arguments and opinions, which are protected, and "genuine threats and harassment," which are not.

Eisgruber said that he has received a few supportive notes and comments from Indian academics and alumni following his interview withTheIndian Express.

Anandabazar, a widely circulated Bengali daily, published an editorial praising the University and President Eisgruber on his statement last Saturday.

Ritwik Bhattacharyya GS, an organizer and participant in the University's JNU protest, stated that he is very happy that President Eisgruber has taken a principled stand on this issue publicly.

This is not an easy position for Eisgruber to take, Bhattacharyya said, as he recalls multiple instances of belligerent pro-U.S. demonstrations on various college campus that ensued the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Since American universities are often held up in India as model institutions, I hope that politicians in India who are too keen to curtail the freedom of speech of ordinary Indians and happy tovictimize students for speaking their mind would learn to appreciate what President Eisgruber has said and amend their views," Bhattacharyya said.

Arnav Joshi '18, member of the South Asian Students Association and the International Relations Council,of the Whig-Clio, said he believes that little comparison could be drawn between the hypothetical commemoration of Osama Bin Laden and the situation at JNU.

Unlike the United States, India has laws that bar hate speech against the nation, Joshi said. In part, this is to protect those who may be targeted for expressing dissenting opinions from harm, he explained, pointing to the violence directed towards the three JNU students after their release.

Joshi further noted that he believes that the JNU administrators made the right call to bring in law enforcement to prevent escalation, and that he believes the Department of Public Safety was likewise actively involved in ensuring security for all students during last November's Black Justice League protests.