Haywood '90 nominated to U.S. Court of Appeals for Third Circuit

U.S. President Barack Obama nominated Assistant U.S. Attorney Rebecca Ross Haywood ’90 for a vacancy on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit on Saturday.

The White House Press Office deferred comment to a statement.

According to the statement, Haywood is currently serving as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Western District of Pennsylvania, where she has served as Chief of the Appellate Division since 2010.

“[Haywood] has shown unwavering integrity and an outstanding commitment to public service,” said Obama in the statement.

Haywood graduated cum laude from the University with a degree in economics in 1990 and magna cum laude fromthe University of Michigan Law School in 1994, according to Pittsburgh's Action News.

According to U.S. Attorney’s Office spokesperson Margaret Philbin, Haywood is not allowed to give comments on this subject.

During her time in the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Haywood has been actively involved in workplace management and training, the statement read. There, she served as the coordinator for prevention of workplace harassment from 2004 to 2010.

Haywood’s work has also included community involvement and speaking to “students and legal organizations about the law and her career,” according to the statement.

The statement also noted that Haywood previously clerked for Judge Alan N. Bloch of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, served as Assistant United States Attorney of the Western District of Pennsylvania and worked for the law firm Jones, Dan, Reavis and Pogue. The law firm is now known as Jones Day.

Henry W. Putnam Professor Emeritus of Religion Albert J. Raboteau, who Haywood conveyed through a spokesperson as her favorite professor while a student at the University, congratulated Haywood on the nomination.

“I am delighted that Rebecca ... has been nominated by the President to serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals,” he said, “I am honored to have taught her during her time at Princeton and am flattered to learn that I was her favorite professor.”

U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania David J. Hickton noted he supports Haywood’s nomination in a written statement to the ‘Prince.’

“The President has made an exceptional nomination,” Hickton wrote. “Rebecca Ross Haywood is a lawyer of unparalleled legal ability and judgment; she is also a wonderful person. She will make an outstanding judge.”

Robert Casey, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, also issued a statement endorsing Haywood’s nomination.

Haywood is 47 years old and currently resides in Pittsburgh’s North Hills, a northern suburb of Pittsburgh.