Updated: Number of bickerees, acceptance rates increase across clubs

According to the statistics from the Interclub Council, provided to the Daily Princetonian by ICC president Jean-Carlos Arenas '16, the six bicker clubs received 705 applications in total this year, a slight decrease from 716 applications last year. The overall bicker acceptance rate was 77 percent this year compared to 72 percent last year.

546 students were accepted into one of the six bicker clubs this year, a slight increase from the 558 accepted students last year.

The average selection size for selective clubs increased from 86 last year to 91 this year.

Cannon Dial Elm club president Ian McGeary '16 noted the number of bicker participants decreased this year compared to last year for his club.

"Our total bicker number was lower and a lot of the other clubs saw that too," McGeary said.

The decrease might be attributed to more upperclassmen choosing to be independent or on an upperclassmen meal plan, McGeary added.

McGeary said that a total of 171 students bickered for Cannon this week, a decrease from 200 bickerees last year. The accepted members consist of nine juniors and 92 sophomores, for a 59 percent acceptance rate. This marks a slight increase from the 53 percent acceptance rate last year.

“People had friends who didn’t get in the club, who didn’t make the cut for the spring semester, but there might be opportunities in the future and/or at another club and they might be happy there as well," McGeary said.

Ivy Club saw 154 bickerees, an increase from last year's 102 bickerees, according to Ivy Bicker Chair Michael Moorin '16. The bickerees consisted of 139 sophomores and 15 juniors and the gender ratio was roughly equal, with 79 men and 75 women. Moorin noted that of the bickerees, 69 students were accepted, for a 44.8 percent acceptance rate. This marks a significant decrease from last year's 67.6 percent acceptance rate.

“We believe Ivy’s small membership is core to its identity,” Moorin added.

This is the first year that Ivy allowed double bickering.

“Double bicker did make admission more competitive, because we had a substantial increase in bickerees,” Moorin said.

This year, 36 percent of the bickerees who applied to a selective club that allows multi-bicker chose to bicker two clubs, an increase from last year's 29 percent.

Tower Club accepted about 128 out of 177 bickerees this year for an acceptance rate of 74.9 percent, according to Tower presidentRomie Desrogène'17. This marks a decrease from last year's acceptance of 79.5 percent. Of the accepted bickerees, 120 were sophomores and 8 were juniors.

Tiger Inn accepted 113 out of 188 bickerees, for a 59.5 percent acceptance rate, according to TI president Grace Larsen '16. This marks a significant decline from last year's 78 percent acceptance rate.Of the accepted bickerees, 101 were sophomores and 12 were juniors. The bickerees consisted of 80 women and 108 men, Larsen added.

Cap and Gown Club accepted 103 out of 177 bickerees, of which 8 were juniors and 95 were sophomores. 15 juniors and 162 sophomores bickered in total.

Cap presidentTyler Rudolph '16 deferred comment to Arenas.

Cottage president Forrest Hull '16 did not respond to requests for comment.

Most bicker results were announced Friday morning.

Staff writer Marcia Brown contributed reporting.