Q&A: Park Yeonmi, North Korean defector and human rights activist

Park Yeonmi is a defector from North Korea and a human rights activist. She is the author of the book "In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom." Park sat down with The Daily Princetonianafter a lectureon Saturday to talk about herexperiences afterleavingNorth Korean and herplans for activism.

Daily Princetonian: How did you first decide to open up and share your story with the world?

Park Yeonmi: I think that was when I was in Dublin [at the One Young World 2014 Summit], when I spoke there. I’ve never been to Europe before. I was very surprised that many people there were crying for me. Because through my whole experience, I just lost faith in humanity, but in that moment it restored me. I think that’s when I thought that I can really tell people what happened, and I will be embraced as a human being.

DP: Do you plan on continuing to give talks like this around the world?

PYM: It’s not my job; I’m a full-time student and I’m really doing this in my extra time. But these are important things that we have to be talking about. I will do my best to use my extra time as an activist.

DP: What are you planning on majoring in at Columbia?

PYM: I am interested in learning about the world. Hopefully, I can study economics.

DP: Are there any extracurricular activities you are participating in at Columbia?

PYM: I want to join clubs or start my own club on campus to really make the issue of human rights alive. At the moment, I’m really trying to focus on my studies.

DP: Moving on to after you graduate from Columbia, do you have plans for the future?

PYP: I really want to understand deeply how the future of North Korea lies. Or I would like to start my own foundation or join a foundation and continue my activism. I really want to come up with a solid plan, and not just talk. Talking is very important, which is what I’m doing, but after the talking, real change should be there.

DP: Do you plan on going back to South Korea at any point?

PYM: That is definitely possible. For me, it is not the location that is important. It is really where I can be most impactful. If that is in America or Europe or Korea, that’s where I will be.