Perlmans emphasize the importance of music education

Violinists Itzhak and Toby Perlman said that society is not complete without the arts, emphasizing the importance of nurturing extraordinarily talented students from a young age, during theinaugural conversation in the Class of 2016’s "Last Lecture" seriesTuesday.

Itzhak Perlman, an Israeli-born violinist, have played with many major orchestras around the world and awarded 15 Grammys. In addition to traveling as a soloist, he has conducted leading orchestras and was most recently honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award given in the United States. Toby Perlman, his wife, is the founder and director ofThe Perlman Music Program. Founded in 1994, PMP’s mission is to develop young, talented, emerging artists aged 12-18 in a encouragingmusical environment and community through a summer program, year-round instruction and performance opportunities.

The Perlmans discussed the role of music in their lives and connected those observations with lessons they imparted to the Class of 2016.

Itzhak Perlman noted that music teachers are the most underappreciated members of society. Music education in schools is important, but even more crucial is the quality of education and having teachers who are truly dedicated to their work, he added. Parents also have the duty to expose their children to classical music at a young age, Toby Perlman said.

"Great music moves us to another sphere of consciousness," Toby Perlman said. There is something about the emotional intensity, ability to connect, sound quality and complexity of great music that is so moving, Itzhak Perlman added. "Am I not lucky to be affected by music like that?" he asked.

"The music gives us permission to dream," Toby Perlman said, "and out of our dreams sometimes something important happens. It gives us permission to feel, to be human — it’s what separates us."

When asked how he plays the same masterpieces over and over again, Itzhak Perlman explained that he has to listen to the music at all times. He added that each time he performs a piece, for example, the legendary Beethoven Violin Concerto, he finds something wonderful in performing it and seeks to find new things in the interpretation.

"Don’t play the way it goes, play the way it should be," Itzhak Perlman said, noting that he advises his students to do the same. In general, he advises taking the scenic route, and since even the scenic route may be boring, going another way next time.

There is no specific or direct way to reach the next level in music or other professions. "You need good hands, talent, a good teacher and all the things you need to do the work," Toby Perlman said.

Itzhak Perlman explained that, at Juilliard School, he studied with violin instructors Ivan Galamian and Dorothy DeLay. Galamian’s approach to teaching was more direct, a "you do what I tell you" style, Itzhak Perlman said. On the other hand, DeLay opened Itzhak Perlman’s mind, according to Toby Perlman. DeLay would ask him "What do you think of the way you’re playing that?", she said. DeLay's tactic involved a thought process and encouraging him to figure out his own opinion about the music he played, Itzhak Perlman said, adding that he hated that method at the time, but this kind of teaching has influenced the way he teaches now. This involves the student in the process, which is important to do, rather than following orders.

"You want to have something of your own," he explained.

Itzhak Perlman also noted that originally, he had no part in the music program created by his wife. However, he slowly became involved, coaching students and conducting the orchestra, he added.

"I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, believe that it was this commitment that you made to teaching that put your playing on the level that it is today," Toby Perlman said to Itzhak Perlman.

Itzhak Perlman said he agrees that teaching has been a great inspiration for his performances.

"Never ever miss an opportunity to teach, because when you teach others, you teach yourself," Itzhak Perlman said.

"It’s harder to grow once you’re out of school," Toby Perlman noted.

The Perlmans encouraged the Class of 2016 to take chances on themselves.

"Trust yourself, trust your gut," Toby Perlman said. "Part of the secret of life is loving your work; positioning yourself so that your work nourishes you. I’m not saying it’s easy — I’m saying when that happens, it’s a good thing," she continued.

The Perlmans were awarded honorary membership to the Class of 2016.

The conversation, titled "My Goal is to Not Be Bored by What I Do," took place in Richardson Auditorium on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.