USG to initiate bike share program, work on transparency in Lawnparties acts

The Undergraduate Student Government is working to set up a bike share program on campus, U-Councilor Ethan Marcus ’18 said at the last senate meeting of the semester on Jan. 10.

Marcus explained that at a December meeting of the Bike Share Program Task Force, Director of Parking and Transportation Kim Jackson talked about how the University has applied to a grant from New Jersey to have publicly available bikes around campus. The contracted company is Zagster, a venture-funded startup company based in Massachusetts that designs bike sharing programs, according to Marcus.

Marcus noted that there are still some details to be worked out, including whether users would have to pay for bike use, and more publicity will come in February.

In addition to bike sharing, the USG is also working to offer new bus routes, Campus and Community Affairs chair Michael Cox ’17 said. Cox said that USG president Ella Cheng ’16, Class of 2018 Treasurer Yash Patel ’18 and Class of 2018 president Chance Fletcher ’18 are involved in the project, and that a potential route would be one from Forbes College to the Engineering Quadrangle. Cox explained that the group is currently analyzing what the peak times would be for each possible route.

“We’re trying to make sure it doesn’t take longer than walking,” Cheng said.

Cheng is a former staff writer for The Daily Princetonian.

USG vice president and incoming president Aleksandra Czulak ’17 explained that the sophomore class has recently received a packet for upperclassmen eating options. Class of 2018 senator Paul Draper ’18 said that he thinks sophomores were not aware of what they are getting into with regards to upperclassmen dining options, and the USG worked on a robust document to provide that information at an earlier date.

Also regarding eating options on campus, U-councilor Lavinia Liang ’18 said she has been working with U-council chair Naimah Hakim ’16 and U-councilor Dallas Nan ’16 to discuss co-op accessibility on campus.

“The co-ops on campus right now offer limited options — there are lots of students who want to join,” Liang said.

Czulak said that administrators will vote on whether to schedule finals before or after winter break.Czulak explained that academics chair-elect Shannon Osaka '17 has suggested lobbying professors so that they become aware of what students want, in terms of scheduling final exams before or after winter break.

Nan said that it is important for the USG to present an idea that the student body is behind.

“I think there are at least some professors in support of a calendar change,” Hakim said. “That might be something to look at as we try to garner support and publicize.”

Cheng noted that the new pass/D/failpolicy will be implemented in the coming semester, although some details about which classes will have the P/D/F option still need to be ironed out.

Hakim, who is also a co-chair of the Mental Health Initiative Board, said that the recent Mental Health Week was a success, with high senate participation. He added that he thinks the January schedule, rather than the March one, allows students to become mindful and thoughtful about mental health earlier in the year.

Social committee chair Simon Wu ’17 said that his committee has been working to collect ideas from the student bodyon Lawnparties acts.

“I really enjoyed doing tabling – a lot of people came by, asked questions,” Wu said."We printed out a list so people could see how much each person [artist] costs and took suggestions."

Wu added that the senate constitution should allow for flexibility such that the incumbent social chair has the authority to book an act before the new chair takes over if necessary.

Cheng also noted that the USG is currently looking to provide more funding opportunities for club sports, the social committee and Projects Board. An increased budget will allow for better Lawnparties acts and more engaging events, Cheng said.

Czulak noted that the senate is working to organize an executive summary of senate accomplishmentsduring the past academic yearwhich will be accessible for students.

“I’m looking to make it a much more visual, concise report than before,” Cheng said about the end-of-the-year report the USG is putting together.