Ivy Club to participate in multi-club Bicker in the spring

Ivy Club will join the multi-club Bicker system starting in the coming spring, Ivy president Eliza Mott ’16 said.

The multi-club Bicker process gives students the option of bickering two of the Bicker clubs at the same time, ranking their first and second choices. Until now, students bickering Ivy were not allowed to bicker another eating club.

Mott explained that the Ivy officer corps came to the decision to join the multi-club Bicker system due to concerns that not having a second option in the event of rejection would make students scared to bicker.

“The multi-club system gives them more options and makes the eating club system less exclusionary,” Mott said.

She added that she thinks the decision to join the multi-club system will lead to a higher number and wider variety of students bickering. This wider variety, she said, usually leads to having the best class possible.

She explained that the club's officers came to the decision together after holding discussions within the club and polling club members for their opinion. While the Ivy Club Graduate Board supported the proposal, the final decision was made by the officers, she noted.

Ivy Club Graduate Board president Charles Lowrey ’79 did not respond to requests for comment.

Interclub Council president Jean-Carlos Arenas ’16 noted that the leadership of each eating club individually decides that club’s admission processes and that the council wasn’t involved in the decision-making.

“[The change] would certainly continue the mission of accessibility and give students more options in terms of Bicker,” he said.

Arenas is a former staff writer and chief copy editor for The Daily Princetonian.

Ivy’s decision to join multi-club Bicker system leaves Tower Club the only single Bicker eating club.

Tower president George Papademetriou ’16 said that the club will not join multi-club Bicker system next semester. He explained that while the club wants to be accessible to as many students as possible, it also wants to maximize each bickeree’s chance of success by spending enough time with them during the Bicker process.

Joining the multi-club Bicker system might make getting to know bickerees difficult for club members due to the resulting increase in the number of bickerees, he noted.

“We want to give people a fair shot,” Papademetriou said.

The clubs first announced the implementation of the multi-club system in fall 2012. Cap & Gown Club, Cannon Club, Tiger Inn and Cottage Club were the initial participants, while Tower and Ivy only allowed students to bicker that club.