Princeton University enters partnership with sports marketing giant IMG College

In an unprecedented move, the University and IMG announced a new multi-year rights representation agreement on Aug. 6. The deal gives IMG rights to the marketing of all advertising and sponsorship inventory for all 38 varsity programs and over 1000 athletes, as well as the production of radio broadcasts for football, men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse. According to the press releases, IMG will also look to develop multi-school sponsorships that include Princeton and Rutgers University, another school that IMG works with.

“We are very excited about our new partnership with IMG College," Director of Athletics Mollie Marcoux '91 said. "This relationship will allow us to continue to identify corporate partners who understand and appreciate our athletic mission and values and who can help us meet our goals of Education through Athletics and the continuation of our unmatched tradition of competitive excellence.”

IMG College already has exclusive rights to over 90 other universities that range from intellectual property to tickets, hospitality and shoulder programming, according to its website. IMG College also produces 35,000 hours of radio programming and 5,000 hours of TV programming annually, averaging almost 19 million unique visitors across collegiate digital platforms each month.

“Our team will develop corporate partner strategies for Princeton including opportunities through our national marketing platform and in bundling Princeton, Harvard, and Yale to provide brands with access to an attractive, high-value demographic," Vice President of Revenue Solutions for IMG Mike Wolfert said in a joint statement released by both IMG and the University.

The deal aims to help Princeton athletics expand it’s exposure and will likely have an impact on events right off the bat.

“Specifically, IMG will help us drive more fans to our games, help us grow our video streaming and technology efforts and will help us continue to develop innovative ideas for fan engagement and participation, all of which improve the overall student athlete experience and help to build community around our athletic program,” Marcoux said.