Both men's and women's tennis teams continue success

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams really appear to have found their groove as league play has commenced. The men’s team had a dominant performance in their double-header this weekend, as they defeated Brown and Yale in a road trip through New England. The women’s team, remaining at home for the same time span, defeated the same two teams. With the victories, both teams remain perfect through league play.

The men’s team (18-4 overall, 3-0 Ivy League) took down its Ivy League rivals in dominating fashion, winning 6-1, the same score by which they defeated the Penn Quakers earlier in the season. The Brown Bears (15-3, 1-1) were successful in defeating the Tigers in doubles play. Freshman Ben Tso and sophomore Alex Day were the only pair to win as the Tigers lost the doubles 1-2. However, the singles would be a master class for the Tigers as they swept Brown 6-0 in those matches. Particularly strong in their singles matches were sophomore Tom Colautti, senior Zach McCourt and freshman Diego Vives, all of whom would require just two sets to defeat their Brown counterparts.

The next day would start out similarly to the first. The Bulldogs (11-7, 1-1) would be the first to draw blood, sweeping the Tigers in the doubles matches. However, the Tigers clearly found their groove in the second part of the day —another sweep in the singles matches ensued. Vives and Colautti would come out strong again, both needing just two sets to defeat their Yale foes as they did against Brown.

The victories this weekend bring the win streak for the Tigers up to four, and are part of what has been a season of victory after victory. The women’s team, however, has had a different tale. Starting off this season slow against some tough opponents, they had trouble racking up the wins until lately. After a strong performance over spring break, they appear in top form as the year begins to wind down.

The women’s team (9-7, 3-0) earned a commanding win over Brown to start the weekend, coming out on top in both doubles and singles. The performance in the singles would be closer than in the men’s matches. Princeton won the singles 4-2, behind wins from senior Lindsay Graff, junior Amanda Muliawan, sophomore Dorothy Tang and freshman Katrine Steffensen.

With their 5-2 win behind them, the Tigers would go on to win by the same score against the visiting Bulldogs (7-8, 1-1). The performances in the singles and doubles were also quite similar to the previous day’s results. They again won two doubles matches, and four in the singles. In singles, Graff, Muliawan and Steffensen would all garner victories once again. Grabbing the fourth would be senior Katie Goepel.

With these victories behind them, the men’s and women’s teams will be switching places this weekend. The men will remain at Princeton, taking on the Dartmouth Big Green and Harvard Crimson at the Lenz Tennis Center. The women will hit the road to face the same two teams.