On Tap with Caitlin Chambers

DSC_0238Sophomore diver Caitlin Chambers has a lot to be excited about, coming off of a perfect league season. This past weekend, Chambers dominated at Ivy League Championships, finishing first in the one-meter and three-meter events and breaking a pool, meet and program record in the process. The talented diver sat down with The Daily Princetonian to talk about diving, the circus and Lord of the Rings.

Daily Princetonian: Where are you from and what’s the best part of being from there?

Caitlin Chambers: I’m from Seattle, Washington and I think the best part is definitely all the water around everything. I love going outside and doing stuff and it’s really easy to do that in Seattle.

DP: What’s your favorite thing about diving?

CC: I think my favorite thing about diving is definitely the adrenaline rush you get. You’re standing on something that’s basically a three-story building and then you jump off and by the time you get to the bottom you’re pretty glad you’re still alive. Afterward it’s a nice feeling.

DP: What’s the funniest/most embarrassing thing that happened to you or a teammate while in the pool?

CC: This is a good one. One time my teammate was practicing a dive off of the platform and she massively screwed it up. She was climbing out of the water and it turns out that when she hit the water the seam of her suit completely split down the back. Someone had to go run and get her a towel before she could get out of the pool in the middle of practice and she had to go put a suit on and come back and keep diving.

DP: What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?

CC: It’s cold. I should check the weather.

DP: What are the three best decisions you’ve made this week?

CC: Three best decisions? Well, one is definitely having my Lucky Charms as dessert last night. It was a great decision. Another one is that I stayed after the last night of [Ivy League Championships] with my mom in Boston and I don’t get to see her very often so that was actually really fun. And ok, this was definitely not done in the last week, but I have to say the third best decision, which is very appropriate now after the Ivy League meet, was when I chose, I guess a year and a half ago, to be a part of PUCSDT because it’s amazing and it just reaffirms that choice, having won this past weekend.

DP: If you were in the circus, what would you perform?

CC: Hmm… Well given I was in a circus, I can answer this question pretty well. I would be a hand-to-hand acrobat and also practice tightwire.

DP: What role would you say Lord of the Rings has played in your life?

CC: I think that it’s been a real inspiration to me. I personally think I draw on the character of Eowyn in my daily life — I like to think I’m a pretty aggressive person and might kill the king of the Nazgul if I ever had the chance, so I would say she’s one of my big role models.

DP: Would you say she’s the character from the films that you identify with the most?

CC: Her and Aragorn, for the sake of gender equality.

DP: You’re on a deserted island and can bring three things. What do you bring?

CC: Three things… Water, food and can I bring an entire diving board setup? Because I’m not getting off the deserted island — I’m not that resourceful — might as well have fun while I’m doing it.

DP: If you had to sing one karaoke song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

CC: Nothing. Please don’t make me do that.

DP: If the four fingers and thumb on one of your hands were drink dispensers, which drinks would they dispense?

CC: Coffee from every single one. I’m an addict.