On Tap with Kacie Kergides

20130930_OnTapKacieKirgides_MerrillFabry

Senior defender Kacie Kergides is part of the defense that has helped the women's soccer team start its season 4-2-2, its best start in recent memory. The 'Prince' sat down with Kergides ahead of the Tigers' Tuesday night game against La Salle to discuss soccer, her love of IM flag football and her hatred of “Breaking Bad.”

Q: What defensive role do you play for the team, i.e., right/left back, sweeper, stopper, etc.?

A: I’m a centerback— we do a flat back four.

Q: On a scale of grapefruit to Mount Rushmore, how would you rate your own personal and the team’s performance this season?

A: Personal performance— I’m coming back from an injury right now, so I’m not where I want to be, but I feel like slowly I’m getting there. As far as team performance goes, I think we’re doing really well. We have ups and downs, but it seems pretty positive right now.

Q: That’s right, word on the street is you tore your ACL last year— are you going to pull an Adrian Peterson this season?

A: Kind of, yes! My dad keeps sending me inspirational stuff like past professional players who have torn their ACLs and made great recoveries. At first, I didn’t want to hear it, but now it’s definitely helping.

Q: Speaking of the street, are you in an eating club? If so, which one?

A: Yes, I’m in Cottage— cannot wait for Sunday Fundays.

Q: I see your name is Kacie and your sisters’ names are Kristian and Kiley - were your parents inspired by the Kardashians, or did your parents inspire them?

A: Hmm, I don’t know. It started off with I was a ‘K’ and then my mom’s Danish, so the Danish version of Christian is spelled with a ‘K.’ Then I guess with Kiley, they just wanted to keep the tradition going.

Q: Do you watch “Breaking Bad?”

A: No I don’t— I actually hate that show. I’ve watched one or two episodes and could not stand it.

Q: Wow.

A: Yeah, I know. I really don’t like it.

Q: Would you rather lose all your teeth or have feet in place of your hands?

A: Well, I already lost one of my teeth. I got it kicked out sophomore year during a game. Yeah, I’d probably go with the feet one.

Q: Describe freshman forward Tyler Lussi in three words.

A: Quick, fast and tiny.

Q: If you could have five taps [get it, like On Tap!], like of liquids on your fingers, what would they be?

A: Apple juice, diet coke, orange juice, definitely gatorade— purple gatorade— and I need water, so I’d have water in there.

Q: How do you like running IM flag football?

A: It’s actually really fun! It’s very entertaining. Out of all the IM sports, I think it’s my favorite one to work.

Q: Is that the only IM sport that you run?

A: In the fall it’s the only one that I do since I’m in season. But in the other seasons, I do dodgeball, basketball, handball. I do it all, whichever ones I get assigned to.

Q:What’s your favorite flag football team you’ve watched play— Clax, Clax or Clax?

A: [Laughing] I’d have to go with club lax. They are by far the most entertaining ones.

Q: Dogs or cats?

A: Dogs, for sure.

Q: Who is your funniest teammate, and why?

A: Well, there’s funny weird and funny funny. The weirdest funny would be [senior midfielder/defender] Gabby Guzman or [junior goalie] Darcy Hargadon. They’re both very outrageous. Very funny. Funny funny I’d have to say [senior goalie] Ceci Di Caprio. She’s very subtle with her humor.

Q: I see you went to Germantown Academy— are you German?

A: No, I’m not.

Q: Then what?

A: Danish and Greek.

Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: Turquoise.

Q: On a scale of pinecones to Spike Lee, how do you like being a varsity athlete at Princeton?

A: Absolutely love it. I just love it so much.

Q: Best part?

Q: Worst part?

A: I mean not necessarily the worst part, but there is the time commitment. It’s a lot, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.