Eisgruber '83 stresses greater inclusivity, online education, town-gown relationship at Nassau Hall press conference

Christopher Eisgruber ’83 was named the 20th president of the University at a press conference just after noon on Sunday in the Faculty Room of Nassau Hall. In attendance were trustees, administrators and members of the media.

Eisgruber sat at the head of the table next to University President Shirley Tilghman, Chair of the Board of Trustees and of the presidential search committee Kathryn Hall ’80 and Vice chair of the search committee Brent Henry ’69. In his speech, which lasted about 15 minutes, Eisgruber described his selection as a “great joy” and explained that he has developed a heartfelt appreciation for the University as a student, alumnus and faculty member.

“This university has shaped my life ever since I stepped foot on this campus 34 years ago as a freshman,” Eisgruber said.

Chair of the Board Katie Hall referenced Eisgruber’s passion for Princeton when she opened the press conference with a short speech.

“The [search] committee sought input from a very wide variety of people, constituencies, both inside our community and externally,” she said. “We had the chance to meet with a number of candidates ... And the committee was able to enthusiastically and unanimously recommended Chris to be the next president.”

Eisgruber discussed several questions that he hopes to answer during his term, including what the University can do to engage all students and graduate students, how the University should participate in the advent of online education and how to cooperate with and assist peer universities and colleges “that share our scholarly identity.”

He said the University has the best alumni in the world and “the most cohesive and collegial campus community of any research university.” According to Eisgruber, the University aims “like no other” to be simultaneously a great research university and strong liberal arts college.

"A place at Princeton is a gift, one that can transform the life of any student, faculty member or other scholar who was lucky enough to receive it, and we have an obligation to ensure that this gift is fully available to the entire range of people who can benefit from it," Eisgruber said.

Eisgruber identified the University’s “commitment to greater inclusivity and access” as an area in which the University had come a long way, but could still improve. He noted that the University’s “unsurpassed financial aid program” is one manifestation of the commitment.

The president-elect added that people are still questioning the cost of higher education and whether a liberal arts education is “worth it.” Despite this, he said, places at the University are more sought after now than at any other point in history.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who attended the press conference as an ex-officio member of the University Board of Trustees, said he was pleased with Eisgruber’s appointment.

“I joined the board in 2007, and I got to know Chris a bit, interact with him and watch him work. What strikes me is how much he loves this place,” Christie said. “What he’s going to be able to do is focus his time on getting both from inside himself and from the faculty and the supporters of the place a vision for what’s next and that’s, I think, really important and one of the great advantages I think he brings to the job.”

In his remarks, Eisgruber also highlighted the University's relationship with local authorities, which has become strained in the past few years following the University’s plan to build the Arts and Transit Neighborhood. Eisgruber said that at a local level, he hopes to find ways to strengthen the civic partnership between the University and the town of Princeton.

“I look forward to working with Mayor [Liz] Lempert and her colleagues in the years ahead,” he said.

In the question and answer period, Eisgruber said that he enjoys fundraising and described it as an opportunity for “alumni outreach.”

He also joked that when he assumed the post of president he would no longer have to begin every speech by explaining what the position of provost entails.

“One of the best things about being president-designate is that I will no longer have to explain what the job of the provost is,” Eisgruber said. “Princeton traditions are living things that are constantly being renewed, refreshed, reinvigorated and recreated by a group of faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends who are drenched in every imaginable shade of orange and who care about this institution like no other."

Click here for all things Eisgruber.