Township passes arts zoning ordinance

The Township Committee voted unanimously to grant the University’s requested zoning to create an Arts and Transit Neighborhood on Monday evening. Because the site of the proposed development straddles the Borough-Township boundary, the University is still seeking a corresponding zoning change in the Borough.

Committee members voted 4-0. Committee member Liz Lempert recused herself from the vote due to a conflict of interest.

Over the past year the University has sought the zoning changes needed to begin building its proposed development in the Alexander Corridor near Forbes College. Borough council members and residents have opposed the plan because it involves moving the Dinky station 460 feet southward.

“I’m proud that we’ve got to this point,” Township Mayor Chad Goerner said of the vote. “Hopefully we’ll create a project that the community truly benefits from — from the arts perspective and, eventually, from the transit perspective as well.”

The vote followed a presentation from the architect who designed the proposed developments. University architect Ron McCoy GS ’80 spoke about the 100-foot fly tower that would be part of the new performance hall, which has been a point of contention during previous Regional Planning Board meetings over the past few months.

Chip Crider GS ’79 spoke in support of the ordinance and thanked the Township Committee for “trying to salvage the shambles that was left by the Borough.”

“You could pass this ordinance and then the Borough could not pass their half, and then we’d sort of be in limbo. Or the Borough could pass their half and then introduce a torpedoing ordinance, which is already in the works,” Crider said, making reference to a proposal considered at a Borough Council meeting last week to preserve the right-of-way of the existing track by zoning that area as transit-use only.

Representatives of McCarter Theatre said they strongly support the Arts and Transit Neighborhood proposal and believe it would bring new business to McCarter and its surrounding area, according to Brian McDonald, president of McCarter’s Board of Trustees.

Melanie Clarke, executive director of the Princeton Symphony Orchestra, said she supports the project and looks forward to the University’s offer that performance groups unaffilliated with the University would be able to make use of the area’s performance spaces.