Letters to the Editor

Renovated Campus Club will benefit all students

Regarding 'Campus Club to reopen as study space' (Tuesday, May 1, 2007):

As a former officer of Campus Club, I applaud the Council of the Princeton University Community for recognizing the benefits that a renovated Campus Club could bring to the University community. With a large and growing student body and a wealth of student organizations, Princeton has a serious dearth of venues where students can have meetings, host events or even just relax and socialize. Campus Club, with its central location and its beautiful building, has the potential to fill this important gap in student life. As an eating club, Campus always strove to be welcoming and friendly to all members of the University community, and I am proud that students and administrators are working to continue this legacy. Matthew Samberg '06

Will Campus Club replace Frist Campus Center?

Gathering spaces for students and faculty? A possible taproom? Reception space? Doesn't that sound like a student center? I note that they say this facility will supplement Frist Campus Center. Frist opened with such fanfare — has it not fulfilled its mission? Jonathan Baker '87

Minimum wage problems are a moral obligation for all

Regarding 'Letters to the Editor' (Tuesday, May 1, 2007):

I think that Marek Hlavac '08 misses the point of moral obligation with respect to raising the minimum wage.

Even if the equivocal theory that raising the minimum wage triggers a rise in unemployment came to fruition, only some laborers would be negatively affected, while the others would reap the rewards. What is irrefutable is that the purchasing power of minimum-wage workers has decreased by 20 percent in the last decade due to inflation and the government's refusal to raise the minimum wage. Employers require the same work but compensate laborers less and less in terms of real wages. This is tantamount to theft by economic forces, and it harms all poor workers, not just a segment. Ending this robbery in plain sight should be the moral imperative of all. Lawrence Henderson '05

Redneck stereotype is different from racial stereotypes

I was surprised to see someone taking offense to the "redneck" stereotype, but I was more surprised that a Princeton student would classify rednecks along with Asians as a race. P.J. Miller '10 wanted to make the point that people should take a stand on racial humor and stick to it, especially after the 'Lian Ji' controversy. Perhaps he forgot that rednecks do not come from Redneckland and are not a recognizable race.

As a North Carolina resident and a half-Asian, I personally find racial humor funny, and redneck humor hilarious. This is mostly because the term "redneck" does not explicitly refer to the rural South as was claimed. It actually refers to people anywhere in America. It also doesn't single out physical attributes or a specifically recognizable group of people, which racial humor does.

There is no hypocrisy if there is an outrage against Asian stereotypes, while there is none for rednecks. If no one cares, then it's no big deal. Aaron Casp '09

Liberal beliefs need to be supported more

Regarding 'Conservative conception of morality'(Wednesday, April 18, 2007):

The political scene where I grew up could only be described as homogeneously liberal. None of my peers were forced to understand the reasoning behind the opinions of those who were not comprehensively liberal.

Reading Jason Sheltzer '08's recent column brings this problem to mind. His tone is elitist, yet he seems to have never taken the time to understand the arguments of people who disagree with him. Instead of confronting conservative arguments, Sheltzer evades them and declares them unworthy of debate. He also seems to think that the only way for Republicans to avoid "hypocrisy" is for them to become Democrats.

Along with his alarmist claims about the GOP's supposed plans to "criminalize homosexuality" and create a "system of forced-births," Sheltzer also takes it upon himself to declare that debate over embryonic stem-cell research is now officially over. Somehow, Sheltzer seems to think this cowering proclamation is decisive and that most readers will simply assent. But if that's the case, why write a column? And if it's not the case, how does Sheltzer expect to influence anyone's opinion without advancing any real arguments?

So please, instead of giving a "conservatives are destroying America," explain why we should take you at your word on such matters. Kevin Joyce '09

Butler plaque is not enough for classes' generosity

Regarding 'For donors, quad's end is bittersweet' (Friday, May 4, 2007):

While I understand the need to rebuild Butler, I completely agree with Lynn Tipson '41's statement that a plaque is nowhere near enough for these classes' memories.

I should preface this by saying that Tipson is my grandfather. That, however, does not affect how I look at the situation. My brother, as a freshman, was assigned to 1941 Hall. My grandfather told my brother that he was sorry and that the dorms were not in good shape anymore. Everyone in the classes agreed that the buildings needed to be improved, but there was disagreement how.

In 1966, the Class of 1941 was the first class to give $1 million to the University at its 25th Reunion. Just this past year, they became the first class to give $1 million at its 65th Reunion.

Over the years, these alumni have given a great part of their lives to the University. Buildings come and go, but contributions like the ones the Classes of 1922, 1940, 1941 and 1942 and Lourie and Love gave deserve a great deal more than a plaque on the wall. The lifetime contributions of these men should be displayed with pride in a way worthy of their memories.

No matter what names the buildings bear in the New Butler, we should all remember what they used to be. Frederick Hall '09

Energy against racial humor should be translated into political action

Regarding 'Letters to the Editor' (Monday, May 7, 2007):

I heartily support all attempts to fight racism and to denounce the use of racial slurs on this campus. I sometimes wonder if that intense energy and passion that is put into efforts to denounce some hapless attempts at race-based humor might be better channeled into political action or civic activism to fight the root sources of ongoing racism in our society, i.e., economic inequality and political disenfranchisement.

We are not afraid to stand up when it comes to offenses perpetrated within our orange bubble, but I'm not sure that we students are equally doing all we can to fight the causes and consequences of racism outside of the campus community. Rob Weiss '09

PAWS display should help students rethink diet

Regarding "Protesters orchestrate bloody display" (Wednesday, May 9, 2007):

Kudos to the Princeton Animal Welfare Society members who participated in the "Meat is Murder" demonstration Tuesday for turning heads and changing minds.

The demonstration was a reminder that before they end up in plastic-wrapped packages in the meat case, cows, pigs and chickens are living, breathing beings who feel pain and fear. They are often kept in cages so tiny they can barely turn around; their horns, tails and beaks are cut off without painkillers; and they are often hung up, hacked apart and scalded alive at the slaughterhouse.

I hope that the next time they're in the supermarket, dining hall or eating club, people who saw the demonstration will think about the suffering that goes into those packages of meat and will choose a healthy and humane vegetarian diet instead. Hannah Schein '96

More funding needed for public service jobs

Regarding 'Not nearly enough' (Wednesday, May 9, 2007):

I think almost all Princetonians can agree that there is currently not enough funding for all interested students, regardless of major, to pursue unpaid public service internships — though recent Pace Center initiatives have helped in this regard. As Community Based Learning Initiative alums can attest, sometimes the most valuable learning that takes place in our four years at the University happens outside the classroom.

The University is preparing to launch a $1.5 billion to $2 billion capital campaign in the coming years. Why not earmark a portion of that campaign's funds to supporting summer public service internship opportunities for Princeton students?

If we are as devoted as we say we are to the ideal of "Princeton in the Nation's Service," it's the least we can do. Tom Brown '07

U. should create linguistics department

Regarding 'Expanding multicultural studies' (Friday, May, 11, 2007):

I was thrilled to see this editorial. As the Princeton undergraduate population becomes more diverse, ethnically and intellectually, the University must indeed provide academic programs reflecting wide-ranging academic interests. But before Princeton wanders too far down the primrose path of exotic certificate programs, I rather wish that the University — and this newspaper — paid more attention to one of the most important, yet most neglected subjects on campus — linguistics. Yes, there's a certificate program here, but the course selection is paltry; many of the main subfields of linguistics aren't even represented, thanks to a shortage of faculty. Many Princeton students have been intrigued by the subject only to be stymied by poor course selection and lack of research opportunities; without a major program or full department, much serious study in the subject is nearly impossible. It is nothing short of a disgrace that a school of Princeton's stature can't muster the resources to establish a full department in one of the great fields of academic inquiry. I only wish that The Daily Princetonian, as it promotes greater diversity in academic programs at Princeton, could do more to prod an administration that ignores a discipline so fundamental to modern academia. Will Sullivan '09

Wilson School issues still not addressed

Regarding 'Setting the facts straight' (Friday, May 11, 2007):

I take full responsibility for using incorrect Wilson School graduate placement statistics. I've written columns for two years now, and never have I been so careless in utilizing numbers. That being said, I still would like to see WWS statistics for graduate student placement beyond the "first job," and I would have liked it if Professor Stanley Katz had discussed my questions about undergraduate career support a little more indepth, considering the amount of column space I spent on it.

Katz admits that the undergraduate career resources fail to match those of the graduate school, but perhaps more could still be done on their part. The Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern, which I discuss in my column, requires its undergraduate students to work in a professional newsroom for 11 weeks as a working journalist. With the combined resources and contacts of Princeton and the Wilson School, is it a stretch to believe that requirements such as this should be applied to Wilson School majors, considering the School's rigorous application process? David Smart '09

Dean's Date angels

I would like to express gratitude to the two young gentlemen dressed in fairy wings, gowns, wigs and running shoes who, not long before midnight on the eve of Dean's Date, made a brief and amusing disruption of my caffeine infused composition. The pair entered into Julian Street Library in Wilcox and proceeded to gently toss an assortment of candy atop our textbooks and overheated laptops, calling out in graceful soprano voices, "Happy Dean's Date! Happy Dean's Date!" Perhaps if I had been sleeping more the past few days, the event might have seemed a bit more surreal, but either way, the gesture was greatly appreciated. Ellen Adams '10

Gun control is misunderstood

Regarding 'Letters to the Editor' (Wednesday, May 16, 2007):

Derek Yecies '08, assuming he's not deliberately lying, makes a couple of very common mistakes about guns. Semiautomatic handguns are quite obviously not "designed with the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people." All firearms are designed to fire projectiles. That's all they do. When fired, they make holes in what they hit. They could be hitting paper targets, cans, jugs, rabid raccoons, attacking dogs, irate bears, etc. They also could be hitting marauding gang members, muggers, rogue policemen, rapists or even docile college students. What the gun makes holes in — and whether the holes cause death — depends solely on the shooter, quite independently of the gun itself.

It's true that most semiautomatic handguns will hold more cartridges than most revolvers. I have one handgun that has a magazine that holds 30 rounds. Were I so inclined and were the conditions right (i.e. everybody sat around passively in clear view), yes, I could probably kill 30 people with that gun and that magazine. I could just as well engage in a firefight with a sniper or a street gang or a pack of home invaders. My 30 rounds would give me a better chance of prevailing than, say, one of my six-shot revolvers would.

In short, such instruments are not just for murder; they can and often do serve as instruments of self-defense or defense of innocents. Florida State University criminology professor Gary Kleck's research finds that firearms in the hands of citizens are often used defensively like up to two and a half million times a year.

Mass murders like those at Virginia Tech perhaps don't need semi-autos. They can do it with plain old revolvers, bolt action rifles, shotguns, homemade bombs, even machetes. What is more important than their tools is the conduct of their victims. As long as they don't fight back or fight back without adequate weapons of their own, the perpetrator will run up a larger count of victims than he would if even one of the victims shot back. Terry Wintroub '69

Prayer does not belong on the football team

Regarding 'God on the gridiron' (Wednesday, May 16, 2007):

What a preposterous policy. More than encouraging divisiveness and running contrary to the principles of student groups at Princeton, the fact that no one has spoken against the permeation of the Princeton football team with religion shows how hypocritical Luke Steckel '07's missionarism is.

The prevalence of prayer on the team is divisive. While I am glad to see that Steckel seems happy to report that up to 90 percent of team members now participate in team prayer, I have to wonder what the effect on the 10 percent left behind in the locker room is. Wasn't football supposed to be a unifying team sport?

The fact that Steckel passes out religious pamphlets every week runs contrary to every intuition about how religion and student groups ought to be handled. If I show up to an Aquinas meeting, of course I can expect to be told about how Catholicism is great: That's the point of Aquinas. When I join the Cooking Club or the Debate Panel or the football team, however, I do that because I love to cook, to debate or to play football, not because I'm interested in learning more about my personal savior.

Finally, the fact that Thomas Methvin '09 can think this is simply a matter of "you shouldn't participate if you don't want to" shows how hypocritical this whole situation has become. If the football team were composed of Wiccans who wanted to celebrate the vernal equinox before a game, and Methvin were among the few players left out from participating with the rest of his team because of his religion beliefs, I am sure he would say, "no problem — I don't have to participate."

As a non-Christian who played football in high school and thus had to deal with sitting out while every other member of my team prayed, it pains me to see that Methvin, Steckel and others have put so little thought into how people of minority religious views might feel, and that head coach Roger Hughes, though he may be good at winning football games, has allowed his locker room to become a pulpit for a peculiar brand of Christianity. Tim Nunan '08